[ Log In :: Register ]

1 members are viewing this topic
>Guest

Page 1 of 1912345>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Did Trayvon Martin fear for his life?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
alcitizens Search for posts by this member.
Albert Lea

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 28 2013,4:41 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

This question is for those that carry a gun in public.. What would  George Zimmerman do if he was walking home from the store with a can of tea and a pack of Skittles while packing a gun and prior to getting home he was stalked and chased by a stranger?
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Banacek Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 28 2013,4:45 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

How do we know that for sure what happened that night? You take a lot for granted and paint a picture your mind wants to see.
 Post Number: 3
Self-Banished Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 28 2013,5:33 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(alcitizens @ Jun. 28 2013,4:41 am)
This question is for those that carry a gun in public.. What would  George Zimmerman do if he was walking home from the store with a can of tea and a pack of Skittles while packing a gun and prior to getting home he was stalked and chased by a stranger?

You need to understand that the weapon one carries is an absolute final line of defense. It's not to be flashed,it's not to be played with, it's just what it is, a tool for a specific purpose. People like you think that permit holders are all a bunch of Walter Mitty cowboys, a few are and they will probably end up losing their permit for one reason or another.

The majority of ccw's are extremely law abiding citizens that have gone thru training and are taught to avoid dangerous or suspicious situations. They are taught safety, proficiently and also the consequences of drawing their firearm which are great even when you're in the right. But ccw's chose to not be victims, they chose to be active in their own defense and not depend on the police which seem never to be around when needed.

By the way,
Excellent comment Banacek.

--------------
:D Remember boys and girls,

Don’t be a Dick :D

Or a “Wayne” :oops:
 Post Number: 4
Albert Lea

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 28 2013,6:30 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

All I'm asking is if you were being stalked and chased by a stranger, would you wait until you were physically attacked or shoot first?
 Post Number: 5
Glad I Left Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 28 2013,7:36 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

That's a fair question ACLI...
For me, I guess it depends, I would be a lot more protective if I was with my family then if by myself.
Every situation is different so I guess the answer is it depends.
I am a martial artist and have been trained heavily in self defense so I look at things differently than most.
For example, when I enter a restaurant I always sit facing an entrance, and if I can get close to an exit.
I have been training my kids to do the same, the first thing I ask them when we enter a building is, where are the exits, what are your escape options?
Any properly trained martial artist will tell you the best defense is escape.
(same goes for sparring, don't be there when the kick/punch lands vs defending it,  but that is another topic)

The thing we are also taught is to avoid situations that can bring danger when possible.
i.e. don't hang out in the alley right after closing time at the bar

Part of the Judo classes I take along with my other martial arts training we get to train with officers from Mankato/N. Mankato and sometimes the surrounding smaller towns with some instructors out of prior lake who specialize in police tactics.
One of the cool things is they teach threat assessment from one or multiple assailants.
What are the dangers and where are they coming from?
Where are my escape options?
Even after taking an assailant to the ground, we are taught to have them in a position where we have them under control but can still keep an eye around us.  It is really an eye opening experience, it gives you a perspective the next time you see an episode of cops and wonder why they are restraining someone the way they are.

Anyway as for the question, for me I wouldn't shoot first unless they had a weapon and have shown they wanted to do harm.
Even then, being a martial artist, or having a weapon doesn't guarantee anything, it only increases your odds and that's what it's all about really.

--------------
After we screw up health care reform, let's take on the initiative of unscrewing the education system (gov't education)
Tacitus: (c. 56 AD-c. 117) "The more corrupt the state, the more it legislates."
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 28 2013,8:58 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(alcitizens @ Jun. 28 2013,6:30 am)
All I'm asking is if you were being stalked and chased by a stranger, would you wait until you were physically attacked or shoot first?

Stalked or chased? At that point I would try to move to a position that would favor me, shoot first? No, but showing a weapon would hopefully defuse the situation, I'm not talking a flagrant flash but amshow of strength. From there it's the attackers move.

--------------

Post Number: 7
Albert Lea

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 28 2013,9:26 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks for an excellent answer GIL!!

I feel that Trayvon Martin made that life ending decision to stop running and confront his stalker.. He thought he could defend himself if needed.. He was wrong..
 Post Number: 8
Santorini Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 28 2013,11:39 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It will be interesting to see this all play out.
Witness testimony seems to favor Zimmerman.
Why did that key defense witness lie under oath? Even about something as simple as her age?  Only takes one lie to lose credibility...unfortunate.  Newest witness (prosecution) testified TM was the one on top which corroborated with another female witness.  It's gonna be interesting.

--------------
"Things turn out best for those who make the best
 of the way things turned out."    Jack Buck
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 28 2013,11:45 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

For Zimmerman's sake he better hope the jury remembers one thing, "guilty beyond a reasonable doubt"

Seems Alky has already convicted Zimmerman, typical.

--------------

Post Number: 10
Botto 82 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 28 2013,12:27 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Zimmerman will be found not guilty. Riots will ensue. The libtard media will decry social injustice. Jesse and Al will get some face time. And so on.

--------------
Dear future generations: Please accept our apologies. We were rolling drunk on petroleum.

- Kurt Vonnegut
183 replies since Jun. 28 2013,4:41 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 1912345>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Did Trayvon Martin fear for his life?
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code
Emoticon Emoticon Emoticon Emoticon Emoticon Emoticon Emoticon Emoticon Emoticon Emoticon Emoticon