Search Members Help

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

1 members are viewing this topic
>Guest

Page 1 of 8012345>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: There goes the country club, Do we need another development?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Replicant Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 15 2006,6:24 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The Tribune breaks the news on this one...by editor Tim Engstrom:

Purchase agreement signed for A.L. Golf Club

This has been discussed until now in the local businesses thread, but it's time for this to become its own topic.

What does everyone think about LaFavre's plan?

I think Victoria Simonsen's comment is well taken.  What if LaFavre destroys the golf course and only builds a few homes?

Do we REALLY need another housing development with Tiger Hills, Larryland, Chapeau Shores, and the Weiks Farm coming on line?

LaFavre's thinking that he's going to attract a bunch of executive types is pie in the sky to me.  I think the guy's pretty full of himself personally.

--------------
Some drink deeply from the river of knowledge.  Others only gargle. - Woody Allen

The problem is not that we have too many fools, it's that the lightning isn't distributed right. - Mark Twain.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
usmcr Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 15 2006,7:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

i say " hats off to Scott LaFavre & his family for selecting Albert Lea to invest their monies in this city" !the country club has been in decline for several years due partly to the fact of the declining upper & middle management personal. the elks club & the city of albert lea both had an opportunity to buy the country club & both declined. it is no surprise that it only took one day to complete the purchase, i bet the former owners were elated to get out from under a sinking ship. i see this as a win win situation for the city & county. if it would be possible it would be of some benefit for the project to save one of the nine holes for a inducement for the future homeowners. like the cap emmons auditorium, the deal is done so why throw up obstacles for the project. competition that is what free enterprise is all about.

--------------
"Do not confuse dissent with disloyalty"  Edward R Murrow

Memento homo quia pulvis es, et in pulverem veverteris
 Post Number: 3
hymiebravo Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 15 2006,7:23 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Post Number: 4
Two Bears Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 15 2006,7:25 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Doesn't Lafavre have a race team in Nascar?

--------------
VOTE  - ADAM AND EVE   NOT    ADAM AND STEVE

HAVING A LIBERAL ALONG IS LIKE LOSING TWO GOOD MEN
 Post Number: 5
hymiebravo Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 15 2006,8:32 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Pretty solid writing by the Edidor in Chief, too I might add. lol I see why hes the boss. Hes really injected some life into to the old Albert Lea Tribune, it seems. lol :D
 Post Number: 6
FlyguyAL Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 16 2006,6:45 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Sounds to me like Mr. LaFavre has watched Field of Dreams one to many times.  His "build it and they will come" approach to the Club land seems silly to me.  :dunce:
 Post Number: 7
Alfy Packer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 16 2006,8:45 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

There has been more than one family that has sunk a small fortune in that swamp.  As much as I love golf and hate to see any course disapear, Mr. LaFavre had better plan on constructing House Boats out there.  A little donation to wetland conservation will be like pissing in the ocean.
 Post Number: 8
Botto 82 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 17 2006,12:18 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Lyle Lanley and the Monorail!  :rofl:

--------------
Dear future generations: Please accept our apologies. We were rolling drunk on petroleum.

- Kurt Vonnegut
 Post Number: 9
ICU812 Search for posts by this member.

Group: Super Administrators
PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 17 2006,7:48 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Albert Lea now has 400 residential units going up in residential subdivisions. (A single-family house is one residential unit; a 12-apartment condominium is 12 units.) Simonsen said some people have concerns about how saturated the Albert Lea housing market is.

Drove past Tiger Hills yesterday, I don't know who is building the house but there is one that was built about 5 feet from a creek, that thing is saturated.

Further, a recent housing study did not mention a need for high-end housing.

It didn't? Looks to me like it did.

Attached Image
Attached Image
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 10
Alfy Packer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 17 2006,8:27 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

The name rings a bell from the past.  Wasn't there an older LaFaver of some reputation in the community?  Any one know if this is the same family?
792 replies since Apr. 15 2006,6:24 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 8012345>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply There goes the country club
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code
Emoticon Emoticon Emoticon Emoticon Emoticon Emoticon Emoticon Emoticon Emoticon Emoticon Emoticon