[ Log In :: Register ]

1 members are viewing this topic
>Guest

Page 1 of 612345>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: ex GOPer< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Expatriate Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 28 2014,9:07 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

"Why Elizabeth Warren Left The GOP"

CREDIT: AP

Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-MA) told George Stephanopoulos Sunday that she left the Republican Party in the mid-90s because it was tilting the playing field in favor of Wall Street.

Warren has quickly become a populist hero to liberals. Stephanopoulos, host of ABC’s The Week, noted something in her background that “might surprise” her supporters: the fact that she has voted Republican in the past, and was a registered Republican in Pennsylvania from 1991 to 1996. Warren said she left the party after that because she felt it was siding more and more with Wall Street:

I was an independent. I was with the GOP for a while because I really thought that it was a party that was principled in its conservative approach to economics and to markets. And I feel like the GOP party just left that. They moved to a party that said, “No, it’s not about a level playing field. It’s now about a field that’s gotten tilted.” And they really stood up for the big financial institutions when the big financial institutions are just hammering middle class American families. I just feel like that’s a party that moved way, way away.

Warren’s instincts on the GOP’s sympathy for the big financial institutions proved prescient. Former Senator Phil Gramm (R-TX) spent the 1990s spearheading legislation that made the 2008 financial crisis possible: the Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act, which broke down the firewall between commercial banks and the far riskier investment banks, as well as the Commodity Futures Modernization Act, which deregulated the over-the-counter derivatives that played a key role in the 2008 financial collapse. Both bills passed with majority Republican support, though they were also supported by a good deal of Democrats and the Clinton White House.

“Starting in the 80s, the cops were taken off the beat in financial services,” Warren explained. “These guys [the big financial institutions] were allowed to just paint a bullseye on the backs of american families. They loaded up on risk, the crashed the economy, they got bailed out. And what bothers me now is they still strut around Washington, they block regulations that they don’t want, they roll over agencies whenever they can, and they break the law. And they still don’t end up being held accountable for it and going to jail.”

Warren also dinged the Obama White House, saying, “I make no secret of my differences with the administration in how they’ve treated the large financial institutions.” But she noted the Consumer Financial Protection bureau (CFPB) — which was largely Warren’s brainchild — would not exist without Obama’s support. The agency has already begun cracking down on payday lenders and debt collectors, while cataloging and reporting on mortgage service abuses.

Warren credited the agency with already forcing the largest financial institutions to return more than $3 billion they’ve cheated from customer, and she herself has gone after Republicans for filibustering the CFPB’s nominated director unless the agency is restructured to weaken its political independence.

Since 2008, the Democrats and the Obama Administration have made some efforts — albeit limited — to repair some of the damage, particularly by passing the Dodd-Frank financial reform bill and the CFPB. But prominent Republican senators like David Vitter (LA) former Sen. Jim DeMint have tried to roll back the Dodd-Frank financial regulation laws, or repeal them wholesale. And as Mike Konczal has detailed, both establishment and Tea Party republicans have spent the time since the crisis opposing nearly every new regulation to rein in Wall Street’s risk-taking and every attempt to reinstate the rules lost during the 1990s.

“What’s happening is we’ve got a washington for those he can hire armies of lobbyists and lawyers. Their voices get heard in Washington and rules get tilted in their favor,” Warren said.

“Working families, not so much.”

Attached Image
Attached Image

--------------
History is no more than the lies agreed upon by the victors.

~NAPOLEON BONAPARTE
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
MADDOG Search for posts by this member.

Group: Moderator
PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 28 2014,9:21 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

George Stephanopoulos is about as biased as liberals come.  CBS and George promote liberalism about as well as Reid or Pelosi.

NewsBusters exposes George Stephanopoulos' liberal bias.

The ABC host hyped how Warren’s book was “The first step about having ideas drive the agenda right now in Washington now and in the future.

As the interview continued, Stephanopoulos pushed Warren from the left and asked the Massachusetts senator “You described some pretty intense encounters with President Obama and his team, including Larry Summers, the former Treasury Secretary Tim Geithner. Has he fallen short in your estimation?” and “As you know the critics say the agency [Consumer Financial Protection Bureau] hasn’t done all that much. One criminal prosecution."

The ABC host then lamented over Warren’s hesitations over Hillary Clinton’s support from the banking industry and fretted that “Do you think that, are you worried that somehow she will bow to big business?…Would they roll over Hillary Clinton?…Do you think Hillary Clinton will push back on that as well?

The segment concluded with Stephanopoulos hyping how “it might surprise a lot of your supporters to know that you were a registered Republican as recently as 1996.—1994 in Pennsylvania. That’s what I read. I was just wondering what drew you to the GOP and why did you leave?

A real reporter would have pushed back at Warren’s attack on the GOP by pointing out that a lot of conservatives believe that the GOP supports government helping big business but doesn’t run off and join the Democratic Party or go work for President Obama to promote new government regulations.

(See relevant transcript)

--------------
Actually my wife is especially happy when my google check arrives each month. Thanks to douchbags like you, I get paid just for getting you worked up.  -Liberal
 Post Number: 3

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 28 2014,9:29 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Did we get F’d by Wall Street ?

Why would you want to smear Warren she’s telling the truth, the GOP has you sucking hind tit wakeup and smell what’s under the tail!

--------------

~NAPOLEON BONAPARTE
 Post Number: 4
Glad I Left Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 28 2014,9:32 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Leaving the party that steals from your front pocket to join the party that steal from you back pocket is news?

--------------
After we screw up health care reform, let's take on the initiative of unscrewing the education system (gov't education)
Tacitus: (c. 56 AD-c. 117) "The more corrupt the state, the more it legislates."
 Post Number: 5
grassman Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 28 2014,9:40 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(MADDOG @ Apr. 28 2014,9:21 am)
George Stephanopoulos is about as biased as liberals come.  CBS and George promote liberalism about as well as Reid or Pelosi.

NewsBusters exposes George Stephanopoulos' liberal bias.

The ABC host hyped how Warren’s book was “The first step about having ideas drive the agenda right now in Washington now and in the future.

As the interview continued, Stephanopoulos pushed Warren from the left and asked the Massachusetts senator “You described some pretty intense encounters with President Obama and his team, including Larry Summers, the former Treasury Secretary Tim Geithner. Has he fallen short in your estimation?” and “As you know the critics say the agency [Consumer Financial Protection Bureau] hasn’t done all that much. One criminal prosecution."

The ABC host then lamented over Warren’s hesitations over Hillary Clinton’s support from the banking industry and fretted that “Do you think that, are you worried that somehow she will bow to big business?…Would they roll over Hillary Clinton?…Do you think Hillary Clinton will push back on that as well?

The segment concluded with Stephanopoulos hyping how “it might surprise a lot of your supporters to know that you were a registered Republican as recently as 1996.—1994 in Pennsylvania. That’s what I read. I was just wondering what drew you to the GOP and why did you leave?

A real reporter would have pushed back at Warren’s attack on the GOP by pointing out that a lot of conservatives believe that the GOP supports government helping big business but doesn’t run off and join the Democratic Party or go work for President Obama to promote new government regulations.

(See relevant transcript)

So you are going to discredit the interview because of The INTERVIEWER. Never mind what the interviewed had to say. :rofl:  :rofl:  :lalala:

I see you and Holder have one thing in common.

Attached Image
Attached Image

--------------
git er done!
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 28 2014,9:42 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Glad I Left @ Apr. 28 2014,9:32 am)
Leaving the party that steals from your front pocket to join the party that steal from you back pocket is news?

Robin Hood steals from the rich to feed the poor the Sheriff of Nottingham steals from the poor to enrich himself.

E.g. Democrats vs. Republicans

--------------

~NAPOLEON BONAPARTE
 Post Number: 7
Self-Banished Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 28 2014,9:49 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Expatriate @ Apr. 28 2014,9:42 am)

(Glad I Left @ Apr. 28 2014,9:32 am)

Robin Hood steals from the rich to feed the poor the Sheriff of Nottingham steals from the poor to enrich himself.

E.g. Democrats vs. Republicans

Wow, to be slapped with this much stupidity on a mon. Morning.

Attached Image
Attached Image

--------------
:D Remember boys and girls,

Don’t be a Dick :D

Or a “Wayne” :oops:
 Post Number: 8
grassman Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 28 2014,10:07 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Oh come on MD. You are not fooling anyone but yourself with your blind support. It is said that you sell cars. How many people come in and pay cash? You are beholden to the GOP, your masters. You do better if the banks win. It's all for your own check. :sarcasm:

--------------
git er done!
 Post Number: 9
MADDOG Search for posts by this member.

Group: Moderator
PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 28 2014,10:26 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Expatriate @ Apr. 28 2014,9:29 am)
Why would you want to smear Warren she’s telling the truth, the GOP has you sucking hind tit wakeup and smell what’s under the tail!

I don't believe I said anything about Warren let alone smear her.  Her political affiliation is nothing new.  
I was originally an independent. I was with the GOP for while because I really thought that it was a party that was principled in its conservative approach to economics and to markets. And i feel like the GOP party left that.
She just chose to run away from the party.  Some would stay and fight to bring the party back to what is used to be.  But then, what happened to your party is the ultimate turn-around.

--------------
Actually my wife is especially happy when my google check arrives each month. Thanks to douchbags like you, I get paid just for getting you worked up.  -Liberal
 Post Number: 10
Self-Banished Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 28 2014,10:26 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

The woman who claims to be Native American?

--------------
:D Remember boys and girls,

Don’t be a Dick :D

Or a “Wayne” :oops:
55 replies since Apr. 28 2014,9:07 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 612345>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply ex GOPer
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code
Emoticon Emoticon Emoticon Emoticon Emoticon Emoticon Emoticon Emoticon Emoticon Emoticon Emoticon