Search Members Help

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

1 members are viewing this topic
>Guest

Page 1 of 212>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Anniversary of Kennedy assassination, Friday< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Self-Banished Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 17 2013,10:56 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Wow, 50 years since JFK was shot and over those years we've seen movies, heard conspiracy theories, opinions on "who done it" and how would history been affected if Kennedy had lived.

So what say you folks?

--------------
:D Remember boys and girls,

Don’t be a Dick :D

Or a “Wayne” :oops:
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Santorini Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 17 2013,11:34 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

How many of you are old enough to remember that day?
Where were you when you heard?

--------------
"Things turn out best for those who make the best
 of the way things turned out."    Jack Buck
 Post Number: 3
This is my real name Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 17 2013,4:48 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I am not sure what to think about "whodunit". Oswald may have acted alone, or perhaps he was indeed a patsy. We may never know.

That said, had Kennedy lived, I doubt we'd still be talking about him today. He would have been another past president whose legacy was brought up when called for.

On a similar note, why is it that the only assassinated presidents we mention are Lincoln and Kennedy?

--------------
PEZ the only candy you eat after your favorite fictional character spits it out of their tracheotomy hole.
 Post Number: 4
Glad I Left Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 17 2013,6:04 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Not to downgrade their service in office, but McKinley and Garfield didn't really do anything of note that would distinguish them among other presidents.

--------------
After we screw up health care reform, let's take on the initiative of unscrewing the education system (gov't education)
Tacitus: (c. 56 AD-c. 117) "The more corrupt the state, the more it legislates."
 Post Number: 5
irisheyes Search for posts by this member.

Group: Super Administrators
PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 17 2013,6:57 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

If he lived, I doubt Lyndon Johnson would ever have become President.  Obviously he wouldn't have been sworn in to finish Kennedy's term, but he also won the election against Goldwater by a huge margin in the 1964 election.  So if LBJ wasn't in the Oval Office after that election, issues like:  Escalation of the Vietnam War (i.e. Gulf of Tonkin resolution), signing of the Civil Rights Act of '64, and "the Great Society" programs could be altered.

Secondly, a great deal of the JFK's positive legacy comes from his being assasinated halfway through his first term.

And no, I wasn't old enough.  My generation talks about where we were when the OJ verdict was read.  :;):

This is my real name:
On a similar note, why is it that the only assassinated presidents we mention are Lincoln and Kennedy?

Exactly!  Presidents Garfield and McKinley certainly got a raw deal.
A story now and then wouldn't hurt.  Maybe an Oliver Stone movie speculating if Anarchists were really to blame...  Was Leon Czolgosz the lone shooter?  :sarcasm:

--------------
You know it's going to be a bad day when you cross thread the cap on the toothpaste.
 Post Number: 6
MADDOG Search for posts by this member.

Group: Moderator
PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 18 2013,6:54 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Perhaps if Kennedy had not been offed, things would surely have been different.  Kennedy had a phobia of communism.  He was a firm believer in stopping the commies in their tracks in 'Nam by both fortifying the South Vietnamese army and sending in advisors.  He never learned history from the French who had no success just as we never learned Afganistan is no place to install peace.  Kennedy was partly a war monger in that respect.

His foreign policy was no better than Bush in the middle east either.  The difference was Bush had support, Kennedy did it anyway including breaking the Geneva Convention rules over it.

In the WH he brought hollywood and shame.  WOW, sounds familiar again with another prez.  Come to think about it, Kennedy had problems with the War Powers Act too.

--------------
Actually my wife is especially happy when my google check arrives each month. Thanks to douchbags like you, I get paid just for getting you worked up.  -Liberal
 Post Number: 7
grassman Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 18 2013,7:37 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

One big difference between JFK and Bush is, JFK actually participated in war, and not from a desk..

--------------
git er done!
 Post Number: 8
MADDOG Search for posts by this member.

Group: Moderator
PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 18 2013,11:51 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Like I said.  He was somewhat of a war monger.  The WPA was in part laid out because of him.

The Vietnam War was never declared because only Congress has the power to declare war.  Kennedy side stepped that.  He started a long road of lies to the public about 'Nam.  

Civil rights would have still happened although it may have taken a bit longer.

The Great Society and all the social programs may have actually escalated to the point on imploding, and...

Bill Clinton would have been made a saint for only making one intern.   :D

--------------
Actually my wife is especially happy when my google check arrives each month. Thanks to douchbags like you, I get paid just for getting you worked up.  -Liberal
 Post Number: 9
This is my real name Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 18 2013,12:58 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I had read that Kennedy was considering dropping LBJ from the ticket in 1964 in favor of Bobby, with hopes that Bobby would run in 1968 to preserve the Kennedy dynasty. This, of course, assumes an RFK victory.

I also read that LBJ called up Bobby after JFK was shot and told him that he was his boss now. More than a little cold to do to someone whose brother was shot, but the Kennedys treated LBJ like garbage all through JFK's presidency.

--------------
PEZ the only candy you eat after your favorite fictional character spits it out of their tracheotomy hole.
 Post Number: 10
Expatriate Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 20 2013,7:53 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Santorini @ Nov. 17 2013,11:34 am)
How many of you are old enough to remember that day?
Where were you when you heard?

I was 13 when Kennedy was assassinated, it was announced at school, it was a somber day many had tears in their eyes.
It seemed like weeks with nothing on the TV but news of the event and the funeral

MADDOG @ Nov. 18 2013,11:51 am
The Vietnam War was never declared because only Congress has the power to declare war.  Kennedy side stepped that.  He started a long road of lies to the public about 'Nam.  

Actually it was Eisenhower who put the first American boots on the ground with the Military Assistance Advisory Group, Vietnam (MAAGV) (officially designated as such in October 1955), it was limited by the Accords to 342 individuals at first but escalated with logistical and other military support long before JFK was elected.
It was Ike’s Domino Theory Doctrine that fueled our involvement in Vietnam, Ike had been supporting the French with military aid until they got their ass kicked at Dien Bien Phu.

Kennedy inherited Eisenhower’s Indochina policy, just like the Bay of Pigs (Cuba) the game was already in play when Eisenhower/Nixon handed Kennedy the ball.

As for the assassination: Oswald’s military records show him qualifying at the range on two occasions, the first time barely making Sharp Shooter, a mediocre shot at best, on the second occasion he qualifies as a Marksman, an even lower grade, the minimum need to qualify.
For those of you unfamiliar with military shooting ranges of the 1950’s  60’s, the targets are stationary they pop up at distances of 50 yards up to 300 yards, the number of targets you hit determines which medal you’re awarded,  Marksman (lowest) Sharp Shooter (mediocre) Expert ( you can shoot stationary targets).

Maybe Oswald’s shooting could have improved but he’s now shooting at at moving target with a retrograde rifle??

--------------
History is no more than the lies agreed upon by the victors.

~NAPOLEON BONAPARTE
17 replies since Nov. 17 2013,10:56 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 212>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Anniversary of Kennedy assassination
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code
Emoticon Emoticon Emoticon Emoticon Emoticon Emoticon Emoticon Emoticon Emoticon Emoticon Emoticon