[ Log In :: Register ]

1 members are viewing this topic
>Guest

Page 1 of 212>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: rent< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
twingroves Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 23 2012,7:00 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

why should landlords be made to rent to people that they know are going to trash the place   :dunno:
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Self-Banished Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 23 2012,7:39 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Actually a landlord may legally discriminate on references, past rental history, credit history etc. Those alone should give one an idea to whom they are renting too.

--------------
:D Remember boys and girls,

Don’t be a Dick :D

Or a “Wayne” :oops:
 Post Number: 3
ControlledHyperness Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 23 2012,8:04 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Self-Banished @ Aug. 23 2012,7:39 pm)
Actually a landlord may legally discriminate on references, past rental history, credit history etc. Those alone should give one an idea to whom they are renting too.

Unless your Rainbow Terrace....then you can't.

--------------
I once had a thought...then it ran off before I could remember what it was...
 Post Number: 4
digger Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 23 2012,8:32 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Because renters have more rights than landlords
 Post Number: 5
This is my real name Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 23 2012,9:03 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

A landlord can also rent only by word-of-mouth. My two final landlords did that, without advertising. That way they could pick and choose their tenants and people who might trash it would never even hear of the opportunity.

--------------
PEZ the only candy you eat after your favorite fictional character spits it out of their tracheotomy hole.
 Post Number: 6
Botto 82 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 23 2012,10:15 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

There are a lot of background checking services available to landlords, nowadays. They can be helpful in weeding out some of the potentially problem tenants.

--------------
Dear future generations: Please accept our apologies. We were rolling drunk on petroleum.

- Kurt Vonnegut
 Post Number: 7
irisheyes Search for posts by this member.

Group: Super Administrators
PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 25 2012,1:20 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(twingroves @ Aug. 23 2012,7:00 pm)
why should landlords be made to rent to people that they know are going to trash the place   :dunno:

I don't see how that's true.  How is a landlord going to "know" they're going to trash the place?  Best indicator would be the aforementioned background and references, and they can certainly deny rental to someone who doesn't meet their criteria.

Just what people are you referring to, twingroves?

A landlord can also rent only by word-of-mouth. My two final landlords did that, without advertising. That way they could pick and choose their tenants and people who might trash it would never even hear of the opportunity.

Good and bad tenants alike are going to hear about apartments through word of mouth.  I spoke to a woman not too long ago who rented to someone this way, supposedly good people who were a friend of a friend, and the results weren't so good.  Lots of damage.

But...  I guess if your last two landlords did it this way with success than they're in luck and I'd probably keep up with it hoping my luck would carry on.   :D

I don't envy landlords.  Mainly because of the financial risk of a bad tenant.  There's damage or illegal activity, chasing them down for the rent now and then, plus the legal cost of evicting one who refuses to leave.  Any one of those will lighten their wallet real quick.

--------------
You know it's going to be a bad day when you cross thread the cap on the toothpaste.
 Post Number: 8
Self-Banished Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 25 2012,4:11 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

^ so there's risk involved, I see...

--------------
:D Remember boys and girls,

Don’t be a Dick :D

Or a “Wayne” :oops:
 Post Number: 9
This is my real name Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 31 2012,7:05 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I would never want to be a landlord. Far too many bad renters out there, and far too many laws protecting them - and when they can be successfully evicted, they trash the place before they move out (and somehow feel justified in doing that to their "jerk" of a landlord).

I know there are bad landlords, too. Too bad they aren't the only ones stuck with bad tenants. They deserve each other.

--------------
PEZ the only candy you eat after your favorite fictional character spits it out of their tracheotomy hole.
 Post Number: 10
busybee Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 09 2012,1:59 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Just buy your own place and live in it yourself if you don't want to be a renter or a landlord.   :D
15 replies since Aug. 23 2012,7:00 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 212>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply rent
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code
Emoticon Emoticon Emoticon Emoticon Emoticon Emoticon Emoticon Emoticon Emoticon Emoticon Emoticon