[ Log In :: Register ]

1 members are viewing this topic
>Guest

Page 1 of 712345>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Talk About the Weather, Tornadoes< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
hymiebravo Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 02 2012,9:25 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

A series of powerful storms and tornadoes have killed 15 people in the US states of Indiana, Kentucky and Ohio, officials say.

Local police officials confirmed that nine people died as tornadoes swept across three counties in Indiana.

Five others died in Kentucky, with one fatality in Ohio. Earlier, tornadoes hit Alabama, causing widespread damage.

The storms - stretched across a vast part of the US Midwest - came days after another system killed 13 people.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-17236495
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Rosalind_Swenson Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 02 2012,10:34 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Well, maybe Tornado Alley is moving a tad further east. That would be a good thing just in case that XL tarsands pipeline does go through. Since they plan on putting it straight through the worst of Tornado Alley.
Peace to the people who lost loved ones during those storms.

--------------
And the light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it.
 Post Number: 3
Santorini Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 03 2012,2:39 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Rosalind_Swenson @ Mar. 02 2012,10:34 pm)
Well, maybe Tornado Alley is moving a tad further east. That would be a good thing just in case that XL tarsands pipeline does go through. Since they plan on putting it straight through the worst of Tornado Alley.

Do you have the affects of a tornado mixed up with that of an earthquake :dunno:

--------------
"Things turn out best for those who make the best
 of the way things turned out."    Jack Buck
 Post Number: 4
Mamma Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 04 2012,8:00 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

oh no! not through tornado alley! Hope they don't disturb any frogs or birds or newts or something.

--------------
A conclusion is simply the place where you got tired of thinking.
 Post Number: 5
Self-Banished Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 04 2012,8:37 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It's the fault of global warming, ah,wait a sec, global cooling? A butterfly flapping his wing in Brazil? Hymen flapping his gums? Oh hell! It' gotta be someone's fault.

--------------
:D Remember boys and girls,

Don’t be a Dick :D

Or a “Wayne” :oops:
 Post Number: 6
hymiebravo Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 04 2012,8:51 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

March seems to have come in like a lion for the folks devastated by these storms. Quite a contrast to how it came into southern Minnesota.

US authorities in several Midwestern states are searching for survivors and clearing damage after a string of powerful storms and tornadoes left at least 37 people dead.

The states of Indiana, Kentucky, Ohio, Georgia and Alabama were all hit by the intense winds which flattened homes, lifted rooftops and downed powerlines.

An unknown number of people are missing after communication lines were damaged.

A total of 90 tornadoes and 700 severe weather events were reported on Friday.

Ohio Governor John Kasich has declared a state of emergency, the Associated Press reports.

President Barack Obama has offered federal government help to the affected states.

Correspondents say it will be impossible to make an immediate assessment of the full extent of the damage.

Tornadoes occur all year round in the US, although the strength of this week's storms was unusual for the time of year - the peak period is March to May in the southern US and later further north.

'Completely gone'

At least 18 people died in Kentucky, reports said, and another 14 in neighbouring Indiana.

The small town of Marysville, Indiana, was almost completely destroyed, with the town's water tower one of the few buildings to remain undamaged, local reports said.

Clark County Sheriff Danny Rodden said that residents had been warned of oncoming storms but added: "This was the worst-case scenario. There's no way you can prepare for something like this."

In the town of Henryville, a roof was ripped from a school and a school bus thrown against a restaurant. No-one was seriously injured in either incident.

"We're not unfamiliar with Mother Nature's wrath out here in Indiana," Governor Mitch Daniels told CNN during a visit to the stricken south-eastern corner of the state on Saturday.

"But this is about as serious as we've seen in the years since I've been in this job," he said as he viewed the damage in Henryville.

Prison damaged

A toddler was in a critical condition in hospital in Kentucky after being found alive and alone in a field near the town of Salem, southern Indiana.

In nearby Chelsea, three members of one family - including a four-year-old child - died in their house when the storm struck.

The child and mother were huddled in a basement when the storm hit and sucked the child from her arms. The mother survived, but her 70-year-old grandparents, who were upstairs, both died.

"She was in the cellar with the boy when the tornado hit. It blew him right out of her hands," Tony Williams, the owner of the town's General Store said.

"They found the bodies in the field outside," he added, referring to the grandparents.

Three people were reported dead in Ohio while in northern Alabama, one person died.

At least 40 homes were destroyed and 150 damaged in the state while the roof of a prison in the path of the storm was damaged, forcing 300 inmates to be moved to another part of the facility.

Earlier this week, 13 people died after twisters swept through Missouri, Kansas, Illinois and Tennessee.

The US National Weather Service had described the situation as particularly dangerous - the mild winter has created conditions where cold fronts collide with warmer air causing the tornados to form.

Last year they killed more than 500 people making it the third deadliest year on record

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-17243838
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 04 2012,9:30 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Santorini @ Mar. 03 2012,2:39 pm)

Do you have the affects of a tornado mixed up with that of an earthquake :dunno:

I was wondering why nobody I follow never mentioned it going through tornado alley lol. Ok, my bad. So now that you mention earthquakes, that is another thing we should worry about. There has been alot of seismic activity the last couple of years along much of that pipeline path. I'm against the pipeline whether it's above or below ground. I'm against tarsands as a fuel. I guess the idea of it being ABOVE ground worried me less than it being underground. The whole "being able to see problems" factor.

--------------
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 04 2012,9:31 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Mamma @ Mar. 04 2012,8:00 am)
oh no! not through tornado alley! Hope they don't disturb any frogs or birds or newts or something.

There is MUCH more to be concerned about than "frogs and newts" .

--------------
 Post Number: 9
Santorini Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 04 2012,10:59 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Rosalind_Swenson @ Mar. 04 2012,9:30 am)

I was wondering why nobody I follow never mentioned it going through tornado alley lol. Ok, my bad. So now that you mention earthquakes, that is another thing we should worry about. There has been alot of seismic activity the last couple of years along much of that pipeline path. I'm against the pipeline whether it's above or below ground. I'm against tarsands as a fuel. I guess the idea of it being ABOVE ground worried me less than it being underground. The whole "being able to see problems" factor.

the pipelines are already here...

--------------
"Things turn out best for those who make the best
 of the way things turned out."    Jack Buck
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 04 2012,11:06 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Santorini @ Mar. 04 2012,10:59 am)

(Rosalind_Swenson @ Mar. 04 2012,9:30 am)

the pipelines are already here...

Yep, and plenty of instances of why many of us do NOT want the new pipeline.

--------------
60 replies since Mar. 02 2012,9:25 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 712345>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Talk About the Weather
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code
Emoticon Emoticon Emoticon Emoticon Emoticon Emoticon Emoticon Emoticon Emoticon Emoticon Emoticon