>Guest

Page 1 of 1112345>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Canoeing the Shellrock< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
MADDOG Search for posts by this member.

Group: Moderator
PostIcon Posted on: May 31 2008,10:33 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Canoe trip scheduled for Shell Rock River June 14

The Shell Rock River Watershed District is named for its outlet, and the public will have a chance to see the natural beauty of the river by canoe Saturday, June 14. The District, in partnership with School District 241 Community Education, will host a canoe trip down the Shell Rock River, from the dam on Albert Lea Lake to County Road 7.

The Shell Rock trip will start at 10 a.m. and end around 1 p.m., depending on weather and water conditions. Participants are encouraged to pre-register to ensure space and equipment. They should park at the boat landing on County Road 19 (South Shore Drive). From there, the District will provide rides to the launch site on the Shell Rock River. At the trip’s end, a bus will provide transportation back to the boat landing.

These canoe events are open to the public. Anyone under age 14 must be accompanied by an adult. All participants must sign a liability waiver.

To register:

Call the Watershed District at 377-5785
Or stop at the watershed office on the first floor of the historic county courthouse

The trip includes use of canoes, paddles and life jackets. The public is allowed to bring their own canoe if they prefer. Wearing a life jacket is mandatory and people are encouraged to bring their own for the optimal fit. Participants bringing children must bring life jackets for them. Rain gear is also advised.

These canoe trips offer a great chance to see wildlife and learn a new sport.

These events are limited to 22 paddlers each, so call soon to reserve a seat.

--------------
Actually my wife is especially happy when my google check arrives each month. Thanks to douchbags like you, I get paid just for getting you worked up.  -Liberal
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Counterfeit Fake Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: May 31 2008,10:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

These trips are a great way to try out canoing.  The river does most of the work for you, if you want to take it easy or aren't proficient at paddling.

--------------
No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.

--  Eleanor Roosevelt
 Post Number: 3
hairhertz Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: May 31 2008,10:23 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

take a child, they'll never forget it

--------------
metis movement
 Post Number: 4
Madd Max Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 09 2009,10:03 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(hairhertz @ May 31 2008,10:23 pm)
take a child, they'll never forget it

I wonder if there will be a trip this year.  :(  

Will children in the future even have the opportunity to canoe down the shell rock river?

Will the county board stand up for the citizens that enjoy to canoe, fish, site see and enjoy nature?

Will the county commissioners find a way to give citizens access to our public waters (Shell Rock River) below a new dam?

Or will our county commissioners let one person control access to the head waters of the Shell Rock River for the next 100 years?

--------------
Heck, if crazy were a pre-existing condition, the GOP wouldn't be able to get insurance. James Carville
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 10 2009,6:56 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Or will our county commissioners let one person control access to the head waters of the Shell Rock River for the next 100 years?
That seems to be the case.  I doubt if the Watershed District will even ask for "permission" to take this trip anymore.  

I've spoken to numerous local and state officials in the last couple of weeks.  

I can say one thing.  A DNR official told me that the dam is NOT owned by one person, (even though one person is telling the county he will give them it) the river IS public waters and he DOES NOT own the dirt under the dam or river.

What ever happened with the great deal that the county board and Jensen were working out?  One county commissioner said and I quote, "We can have a deal worked out with Greg Jensen in two hours."

That was six months ago.

Greg Jensen has told me that I can use it anytime I want, just give him a call first.  :popcorn:

--------------
Actually my wife is especially happy when my google check arrives each month. Thanks to douchbags like you, I get paid just for getting you worked up.  -Liberal
 Post Number: 6
Madd Max Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 10 2009,7:37 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(MADDOG @ Apr. 10 2009,6:56 am)
What ever happened with the great deal that the county board and Jensen were working out?  One county commissioner said and I quote, "We can have a deal worked out with Greg Jensen in two hours."

That was six months ago.

:

Albert Lea Tribune 10.09.08
Jensen said the county board had appointed Belshan and Glen Mathiason to negotiate a deal on the dam. Belshan and Jensen on Wednesday said the deal is done except for a few last details

Six months to the day and still no deal

Jensen and Belshan called the deal they worked out less expensive than the joint bridge-dam plan. They said the bridge will be cheaper, the dam will be cheaper and the county doesn’t have to pay for land

In less then three months we could stand to lose around $200,000.00 because of the County commissioners dragging there feet.  How is that saving the county money?

I want to hear peoples responces when the county commissioners tells us that they are going to raise property taxes to fund a new dam because they let state funding slip away.

--------------
Heck, if crazy were a pre-existing condition, the GOP wouldn't be able to get insurance. James Carville
 Post Number: 7
gljoefan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 10 2009,9:27 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I heard last week that they are close to a deal again, but no access.  If that is the case, I am not sure why we would spend a nickel on the dam?
 Post Number: 8
sumpdump Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 10 2009,2:49 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The ONLY people that let any money or funding slip away is your watershed board. Not the people that owned the land around the dam. You think certain individuals help things up, well your greatly mistaken. Look to all your great leaders on these committee’s that you've help put in place. I’m sick of reading the same garbage about blaming the land owners for what your elected officials can’t accomplish.......   :angry:

--------------
The darkest places in hell are reserved for those who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis.
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 10 2009,2:59 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

And which great leaders are your referring to?  The watershed board still has their money.  It's been moved to a different account.

--------------
 Post Number: 10
gljoefan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Apr. 10 2009,3:22 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(sumpdump @ Apr. 10 2009,2:49 pm)
The ONLY people that let any money or funding slip away is your watershed board. Not the people that owned the land around the dam. You think certain individuals help things up, well your greatly mistaken. Look to all your great leaders on these committee’s that you've help put in place. I’m sick of reading the same garbage about blaming the land owners for what your elected officials can’t accomplish.......   :angry:

I am not blaming anyone.  If the dam belongs to Greg, then were done here let's move on.  

Sump..do you think the public should spend dollar one on a private dam?
100 replies since May 31 2008,10:33 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 1112345>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Canoeing the Shellrock
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code
Emoticon Emoticon Emoticon Emoticon Emoticon Emoticon Emoticon Emoticon Emoticon Emoticon Emoticon