[ Log In :: Register ]

1 members are viewing this topic
>Guest

Page 1 of 1012345>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Trains for people, Not for oil< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Self-Banished Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 27 2014,12:00 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've been listen to people whine this week about the Northstar line and the terrible service they've been receiving, one of them bitching about being to work 90 min. Late.  Then I saw Bammer speaking at the Union(yuck, there's that word again) Depot yesterday pretty much saying that he'll circumvent congress with grants and excecutive orders to expand public transportation. I guess congress is no longer necessary.

http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2014...n-depot

Also, I can't find the link right now but there where folks chanting "trains for people, not for oil" I thought this funny since the tracks that the Northstar runs on belong to the BNSF.

I'm sure if Bammer asks nice ol'Warren  will make the oil trains go away. :sarcasm:

--------------
:D Remember boys and girls,

Don’t be a Dick :D

Or a “Wayne” :oops:
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Expatriate Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 27 2014,12:45 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Trains do transport people more economically than jets, the jet engine is the biggest fuel-hog man has ever invented!

I’d think a trucker would want to see less traffic congestion, if it would have been a Bush speech you’d be cheering.

You saying "I’m not a Republican" is like Nixon saying "I’m not a crook"!

--------------
History is no more than the lies agreed upon by the victors.

~NAPOLEON BONAPARTE
 Post Number: 3

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 27 2014,3:50 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Expatriate @ Feb. 27 2014,12:45 pm)
Trains do transport people more economically than jets, the jet engine is the biggest fuel-hog man has ever invented!

I’d think a trucker would want to see less traffic congestion, if it would have been a Bush speech you’d be cheering.

You saying "I’m not a Republican" is like Nixon saying "I’m not a crook"!

I agree jets are not very fuel efficient but we're just talking local commuter. The ironic point I found was officials and riders complaining about the service when the Northstar was set up on existing rail that belongs to the BNSF, main line tracks no less.

Those 1267 tanker trains come through town at least three times a day.

As to mentioning myself and Nixion in the same sentence, I'm honored. Except for the fact he got caught trying to coverup watergate I liked him. The break-in didn't sink him, trying to cover it up did. This (IMHO) compares closely with Bengazi ( though no one died in watergate) and the IRS scandal.

--------------

Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 27 2014,10:27 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Self-Banished @ Feb. 27 2014,3:50 pm)
I agree jets are not very fuel efficient but we're just talking local commuter. The ironic point I found was officials and riders complaining about the service when the Northstar was set up on existing rail that belongs to the BNSF, main line tracks no less.

Those 1267 tanker trains come through town at least three times a day.

Amtrak has a similar problem they don’t have dedicated track, they share line with several different Railroads who own the mainline and thereby have right-away.
I try to take Amtrak to Chicago when possible (Empire Builder) more than once we’ve been delayed or rerouted because of freight train schedules or derailments.

--------------

~NAPOLEON BONAPARTE
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 28 2014,2:23 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Amtrak needs to go away, never has been profitable.

--------------

Post Number: 6
Glad I Left Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 28 2014,7:57 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Problem with LRT in MN is there is no real enforcement mechanism.  Outside of riders getting on after vikings games it is basically an honor system.  I know they do random audits but no where near enough to deter anyone.
KARE11 did a report on it a few years ago and they estimated that 40% of riders don't buy a ticket... I guess even when it's damn near free already, it's still too much to pay for some people.

--------------
After we screw up health care reform, let's take on the initiative of unscrewing the education system (gov't education)
Tacitus: (c. 56 AD-c. 117) "The more corrupt the state, the more it legislates."
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 28 2014,8:08 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've heard the Northstar is more strict on ridership(no tickee no ridee) but even then I highly doubt either system is profitable but I'm sure someone will come up with some cooked numbers to prove me wrong.

What the hell is wrong with the bus system

--------------

Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 28 2014,8:35 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

As to mentioning myself and Nixion in the same sentence, I'm honored. Except for the fact he got caught trying to coverup watergate I liked him. The break-in didn't sink him, trying to cover it up did. This (IMHO) compares closely with Bengazi ( though no one died in watergate) and the IRS scandal.

you’re not old enough to remember tricky Dick, this guy was a real dictator.

If we would have got a peace agreement in 68 it would have saved over 30,000 of our boys, can you say treason!

--------------

~NAPOLEON BONAPARTE
 Post Number: 9
Glad I Left Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 28 2014,8:42 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Self-Banished @ Feb. 28 2014,8:08 am)
I've heard the Northstar is more strict on ridership(no tickee no ridee) but even then I highly doubt either system is profitable but I'm sure someone will come up with some cooked numbers to prove me wrong.

What the hell is wrong with the bus system

Northstar is better.  My brother in law lives in big lake, he and his wife will take the train to Twins games in the summer quite often.  Much cheaper than driving and paying for parking etc..
LRT is a good idea.  Public transit, when done right is critical in keeping large cities moving.  Htere is just not enough parking downtown in most major cities.  And those that do have parking charge a premium for it, I couldn't imagine paying 5-7(or more) bucks a day every day just to park so I can go to work.
Problem with public transit, is you have to have some way of keeping cost in lines, free ridership is a horrible business model.

--------------
After we screw up health care reform, let's take on the initiative of unscrewing the education system (gov't education)
Tacitus: (c. 56 AD-c. 117) "The more corrupt the state, the more it legislates."
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 28 2014,9:01 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Expatriate @ Feb. 28 2014,8:35 am)

you’re not old enough to remember tricky Dick, this guy was a real dictator.

If we would have got a peace agreement in 68 it would have saved over 30,000 of our boys, can you say treason!

Oh I remember Nixon,  

A dictator? You mean like we have now?

--------------

92 replies since Feb. 27 2014,12:00 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 1012345>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Trains for people
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code
Emoticon Emoticon Emoticon Emoticon Emoticon Emoticon Emoticon Emoticon Emoticon Emoticon Emoticon