Search Members Help

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

1 members are viewing this topic
>Guest

Page 1 of 612345>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: EPA pushing E-15, Ethanol and Gasoline Blend< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Common Citizen Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 27 2012,7:15 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

E15 may be lawfully sold by a fuel or fuel additive manufacturer only after the manufacturer has registered E15 and met the conditions of the partial waivers, which include a misfueling mitigation plan for minimizing the potential for E15 to be used in vehicles and engines not covered by the partial waivers. For more information on fuel registration, visit the Registration and Health Effects Testing page. For more information on specific waiver conditions, visit the Misfueling Mitigation Plans page and the Survey Plan page. There are a number of additional factors, including requirements under other federal, state, and local laws, that may also affect the distribution of E15.

With EPA’s June 15, 2012 approval of a number of companies’ misfueling mitigation plans, EPA has acted on each of the Clean Air Act steps required to bring E15 to market. Some companies have now met all of the Clean Air Act requirements related to E15 and may lawfully introduce E15 into the marketplace.

The EPA's intent is to replace E-10 with E-15.  On the surface, 5% does not seem like much of a big deal. But here is something you need to be aware of.

EPA is not interested in educating consumers.  Although they have created a sticker to be placed at the pumps, this is as far as it goes because their responsiblity lies with protecting the environment...not educating consumers about which blends should be used in their cars.  95% of consumers have never heard about it and 44% of consumers have no idea whether it is safe for their vehicles.

Only 12 million (5%) out of 240 million vehicles on the road today are approved for E-15 use by automobile manufacturers.

5 auto makers have said their warranties will not cover damage to fuel system components caused by E-15 and 7 additional auto makers have said they will void warranty coverage.

The EPA is confident enough to state that E-15 will not harm your engine and/or fuel system, but are unwilling to prove it and are not confident enough to warranty your engine and/or fuel system when they fail.

Consumer Reports writes:
While E15 could be an effective way to reduce petroleum consumption on a national basis, blending additional quantities beyond E10 poses compatibility hurdles with both infrastructure and vehicles. As a liquid fuel that has been produced for centuries, ethanol should require the fewest changes from traditional petroleum of any available alternative.

In our own testing, Consumer Reports found that a flex-fuel vehicle specifically designed to run on E85, a much higher blend of ethanol, got almost 30-percent worse fuel economy running on the fuel than it did on regular gasoline. Perhaps lower mid-grade blends could provide some advantages without such a large drop in fuel economy, but the energy density of ethanol is significantly lower than gasoline.

Consumers Union, the consumer advocacy arm of Consumer Reports, has expressed concern about warranty coverage for consumers who mistakenly fuel their cars or small engines with E15. But the organization remains hopeful that a solution can be found that will protect consumers and add another arrow to the country's arsenal of alternatives to its dependence on petroleum from other parts of the world.

Consumer Reports

Another issue that is not discussed is how corrosive ethanol blended fuels can be.  This could have a potential impact on local fuel companies and gas stations and the delivery
mechanisms that are used.

Any concerns shoud be directed to this person.

This has been a CC public service announcement.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Self-Banished Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 27 2012,7:53 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Oh joy, more farmer welfare. I think I saw corn at $8.65 this morning. This ought to raise food prices some more.

I talked to a farm manager this thanksgiving week, he figures we'll be seeing higher meat prices soon, about April or so. Poor expatriate will have to shell out more money for his baloney sandwiches :rofl:

I don't buy enthanol fuel unless I absolutely have to. I just play the charade of pulling up to the pump, pulling the 5 gal. can out of the back of my pickup then filling up with non-oxy gas. I don't know if the clerk knows or cares that I got 30-plus gals. Of gas in that can. At present it's about a 65 cent difference but I do get better power and fuel mileage.

--------------
:D Remember boys and girls,

Don’t be a Dick :D

Or a “Wayne” :oops:
 Post Number: 3
Expatriate Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 27 2012,8:27 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Self-Banished @ Nov. 27 2012,7:53 am)
. Poor expatriate will have to shell out more money for his baloney sandwiches :rofl:

I don’t like ethanol or baloney!

--------------
History is no more than the lies agreed upon by the victors.

~NAPOLEON BONAPARTE
 Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 27 2012,8:44 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

^ Really? I thought you belonged to a union. :rofl:

--------------

Post Number: 5
Botto 82 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 27 2012,8:48 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hormel posted record profits for FY'12. A week later, they announced prices were going up, up, up.

I'm with SB. We don't need this idiotic subsidy.

--------------
Dear future generations: Please accept our apologies. We were rolling drunk on petroleum.

- Kurt Vonnegut
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 27 2012,10:25 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It is so hard on seals in a fuel system.

--------------

Post Number: 7
Botto 82 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 27 2012,11:37 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Makes for great car fire footage on the Metro news stations, though...  :D

--------------
Dear future generations: Please accept our apologies. We were rolling drunk on petroleum.

- Kurt Vonnegut
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 27 2012,12:53 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

^ :rofl:

--------------

Post Number: 9
Moparman Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 27 2012,3:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Oh joy, more farmer welfare. I think I saw corn at $8.65 this morning. This ought to raise food prices some more.

I talked to a farm manager this thanksgiving week, he figures we'll be seeing higher meat prices soon, about April or so. Poor expatriate will have to shell out more money for his baloney sandwiches :rofl:

I don't buy enthanol fuel unless I absolutely have to. I just play the charade of pulling up to the pump, pulling the 5 gal. can out of the back of my pickup then filling up with non-oxy gas. I don't know if the clerk knows or cares that I got 30-plus gals. Of gas in that can. At present it's about a 65 cent difference but I do get better power and fuel mileage.

And worth every penny! Let's use your very own way of thinking to say that farmers don't owe you a thing! Life's tough buttercup! If you don't like it go out secure a couple million (at least) and become a small farmer and grow your own.

Take away the subsidy let the growers set their own prices and sit back and see where food prices go.

Your farm manager buddy needs to get up speed. Meat prices have been rising of a quite some time now (this little thing called a drought is going on) and its pretty common knowledge that they are going to continue to increase in the future. Old news...

You do realize you can get fill up with any type of fuel the pump has available. You don't have to go all covert to try to fool the clerk. You could pump your tank full of diesel or kerosene for all he cares, as long as you pay or it.
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 27 2012,3:49 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Moparman @ Nov. 27 2012,3:01 pm)

And worth every penny! Let's use your very own way of thinking to say that farmers don't owe you a thing! Life's tough buttercup! If you don't like it go out secure a couple million (at least) and become a small farmer and grow your own.

Take away the subsidy let the growers set their own prices and sit back and see where food prices go.

Your farm manager buddy needs to get up speed. Meat prices have been rising of a quite some time now (this little thing called a drought is going on) and its pretty common knowledge that they are going to continue to increase in the future. Old news...

You do realize you can get fill up with any type of fuel the pump has available. You don't have to go all covert to try to fool the clerk. You could pump your tank full of diesel or kerosene for all he cares, as long as you pay or it.

You seem to forget that I grew up on a real farm, not some grain farmer that takes half the year off. When I was farming with my Dad we never took any subsidies, not one. As far as my farm manager buddy goes, he's been doing many years. His philosophy is"the public thinks it's paying alot for fuel, wait till the food prices hit" I have to agree with him.

We're burning our food, plain and simple. Middle class will get squeezed, the poor? Well Obama just might have to bump their food stamps quite a bit.

So when does this drought end??? Since we don't know why do we want to increase the crops we use for fuel.

By the way, the damned clerks at the place I fuel won't turn on the pump if I put the nozzle in my truck. I'd go somewhere else but these places are few.

--------------

51 replies since Nov. 27 2012,7:15 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 612345>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply EPA pushing E-15
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code
Emoticon Emoticon Emoticon Emoticon Emoticon Emoticon Emoticon Emoticon Emoticon Emoticon Emoticon