[ Log In :: Register ]

1 members are viewing this topic
>Guest

Page 1 of 212>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: brett farve< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Blackdog Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 16 2009,9:11 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

HATTIESBURG, Miss. — Brett Favre acknowledged he's "running out of time" to decide whether he'll play for the Minnesota Vikings this season.

The quarterback told the Associated Press on Wednesday that he will give the Vikings an answer on whether he will play by the July 30 deadline to report to training camp, which begins July 31. Favre's agent, Bus Cook, had no comment on the deadline.

Favre has been working out with the Oak Grove High School football team three days a week all summer but added a Sunday workout this week.

"There's two weeks left, and I'm doing everything I can," Favre said. "I was down here Sunday morning working out. I'm trying to get everything to where I feel 100 percent when I go in. I can't go

Brett Favre
What do you think the chances are that Brett Favre WILL NOT sign with the Minnesota Vikings?
100 %. There's no way Favre will play this season.
99-70 %.
69-40 %.
39-20 %.
19-1 %.
0 %. Favre's just waiting until training camp starts.

in any less. When you're 39 years old, it's hard enough. But it's getting there."
The former Green Bay Packers and New York Jets quarterback said surgery to repair a biceps tendon in his throwing arm was successful and that he has enough velocity to return to the NFL. He is just not sure whether that means he will be able to compete for an entire season.

"I felt like going to New York last year that I still had it," Favre said. "I didn't know my arm was hurt at the time. So that's what I try to get across to people. I had that fixed, the surgery to fix that, so I'm trying to make sure that, if I go back, that part is completely resolved."

It sure looked like Favre's arm was fixed Wednesday when a jovial Favre hit a variety of

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Advertisement
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
passes to high school and college wide receivers. He was crisp on short timing passes and was hitting receivers in the end zone from about 50 yards away. He attempted a few deep passes off bootlegs and usually hit his targets in stride.
Favre's spirals held true, and he proved he still has plenty of zip when he tossed a deep pass to a college receiver who dropped by to work out. The pass went through the receiver's hands and hit him in the face.

"He's a senior from Southeastern Louisiana, so I put a little more on it," Favre said with a smile.

If the arm strength weren't there, Favre said, he wouldn't make a bid to return for his 19th NFL season.

"I don't think Minnesota would even consider it if I didn't have it," Favre said. "Second of all, I wouldn't even think about it if I didn't have it. Now, having it here and having it on the field on Sundays is two different things; I know that for a fact. I know what it takes to play on Sunday, and I still believe I have that."

Favre said his hesitation is more about what those watching him practice might not see. He used a golfing analogy to explain his situation. What if, he asked, Tiger Woods came back and found he didn't have the same game?

"He goes out and hits a 2-iron, and he thinks it will go the normal distance it has all his life. Then all of a sudden, it's 13 yards short, and he says, 'I don't know why that is because everything felt perfect,' so that's what I have to get through," Favre said.

"If you're throwing, and it's a little off and you have a little pain, it's a little bit understandable. If there's no pain and there's no excuse, that's where you've got a problem. So I want to go out and have one of those days throwing and then have another where all of those throws you make, every warm-up throw you make, or just in general, feels perfect."

The Jets released Favre earlier this year. Dr. James Andrews performed surgery May 22 to address the injured biceps tendon, which hampered Favre down the stretch last season.

The Vikings have remained mostly quiet on the topic in recent weeks, preferring to let Favre work through his rehabilitation from the surgery and make up his own mind.

At a fan forum in June, owner Zygi Wilf made it clear officials were receptive to Favre joining the Vikings and the decision was Favre's to make.

"Right now, it's all up to Brett Favre in terms of where his future is at," Wilf told about 1,200 fans gathered at the State Theatre. "I'll just leave it at that."

Coach Brad Childress has had sporadic conversations with Favre throughout the summer.

"He's trying to make a push to get back," Childress said in June. "I just know this: He won't play unless he feels like he's able to play at the level that he's played over the course of the years. I know he's working hard."

Pioneer Press staff reporter Rick Alonzo contributed to this report.

Print   Email    Font ResizeReturn to Top    

Related Stories

Favre steps up workouts as 'time running out'
Related Topics

Places - Hattiesburg, MS
Yahoo! BuzzLike this story?
Buzz it up on

The Pioneer Press is happy to host community conversations about news and life in the Twin Cities. As hosts, we expect guests will show respect for each other. That means we don't threaten or defame each other, and we keep conversations free of personal attacks. Witty is great. Abusive is not. If you think a post violates these standards, don't escalate the situation. Instead, flag the comment to alert us. We'll take action if necessary.

It's not hard. This should be a place where people want to read and contribute -- a place for spirited exchanges of opinion. So those who persist with racist, defamatory or abusive postings risk losing the privilege to post at all.

POST YOUR COMMENTS:
Read all 59 comments »
             Type in your comments to post to the forum  
Name
(appears on your post)   You are currently logged in as . Not ?  
Name
(appears on your post)    
Comments  
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:  

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

of Today's
MORE OF TODAY'S HEADLINES
Perry Mason and the case of the other Franken
Eau Claire parents' group aims to fund school field trips
Minnesota is among top five bird-watching states, report says
Apple Valley couple knows what hit them, but now how, or why
Warren city official charged with swindling public funds
'Kara Cam' will follow Goucher on the run
Waterville man accused of imprisoning girls

Most ViewedMost E-Mailed(From the last 12 hours)Brett Favre says he will make a decision on Minnesota Vikings by...
Waterville man accused of imprisoning girls
2 killed in head-on crash between 2 motorcycles
Minnesota Gophers' beer ban limited to stadium
Timberwolves' David Kahn: Jonny Flynn is going to be great
Denny Hecker is grilled about several big purchases at bankruptcy...
Apple Valley couple knows what hit them, but now how, or why
Best seat in the house: For power diners, you are where you sit
Denny Hecker grilled about jewelry, expensive gifts at bankruptcy...
Charley Walters: Are money issues holding up deal between Brett...
(From the last 12 hours)Joe Soucheray: With Petters and Hecker, at least the Rolexes were real
Best seat in the house: For power diners, you are where you sit
St. Paul firefighters evacuate industrial building after chemical...
Just married: Olga Franco, still in prison for Cottonwood bus crash...
Target may back health mandate
Two suspects sought in fatal beating of man in St. Anthony
UnitedHealth Group pitches its portable high-tech medical-care concept
Twin moose calves on exhibit at MN Zoo
Food co-ops under siege as competition from traditional grocers...
New Washington County waste center to open in August in Woodbury,...

Jobs  

ROOFING COMME... (Jobs)
Click for Details

Pet Nutrition S... (Jobs)
Click for Details

Coding Lead Woo... (Jobs)
Click for Details

PRODUCTION ARTI... (Jobs)
Click for Details

Associate Progr... (Jobs)
Click for Details

INSURANCE Field... (Jobs)
Click for Details

SOCIAL SERVICES... (Jobs)
Click for Details

TEACHER CHISAGO... (Jobs)
Click for Details

All Listings

News Business Sports Entertainment Life & Culture Shopping Jobs Cars Homes
About TwinCities.com About the Real Cities Network Copyright About MediaNews Group Contact Us Advertise with Us  

Privacy Policy  |  MNG Corporate Site Map  |  Copyright
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Common Citizen Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 16 2009,9:45 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

imo, he would have been immortalized by the cheese heads had he retired at Green Bay.  

The article makes it sounds as if he's 100%.  Could it be that a local paper is in the tank for him because he is a home town hero?  I find it hard to believe that anyone can be a 100% after an injury like that.  But then he's been receiving some of the best medical treatment in the world.  :dunno:

I don't believe he will join the Vikings...we do not need him.  He may drive ticket sales for a couple of games but once he get's pile drived into the turf by some 320 lbs., 25 year old D-Lineman, the fat lady will have sang.

nuff said...
 Post Number: 3
MADDOG Search for posts by this member.

Group: Moderator
PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 16 2009,11:29 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

CC, I get the impression you don't think the Vikings offensive line can protect him?  :cool:

As a Bear fan who has no love for the Vikings, and whose brother in law bleeds green, I'd love to see him put on the purple and gold.  Everything out of my BIL's mouth used to be Brett this and Brett that.  Now he almost loathes him.

I think the Bears would love to have a few more shots at him and probably a few Pickle Packers too.

It would be a perfect setting in Minnesota for him.  After all he seem to be the biggest flip flopper of modern football.

Brett Favre Seems to be Flip-Flopping Again  
Just when you thought it was safe to finally put your Brett Favre No. 4 jersey into the closet until his eventual enshrinement in Canton, the NFL’s greatest flip-flopper is up to his old tricks.

Attached Image
Attached Image

--------------
Actually my wife is especially happy when my google check arrives each month. Thanks to douchbags like you, I get paid just for getting you worked up.  -Liberal
 Post Number: 4
ICU812 Search for posts by this member.

Group: Super Administrators
PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 16 2009,11:37 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 5
ControlledHyperness Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 21 2009,4:17 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

As an avid Houston Oilers fan (yes, I know they are no longer in existance...sadly), who grew up watching Brett Farve (and hoping his team would win so the despised Cowboys would not go to the next level), I think it would be fun to have him.
 That being said....I LOVE the copy/paste job...complete with advertisements  :rofl:  :rofl:

--------------
I once had a thought...then it ran off before I could remember what it was...
 Post Number: 6
the breeze Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 21 2009,4:23 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(ControlledHyperness @ Jul. 21 2009,4:17 pm)
As an avid Houston Oilers fan (yes, I know they are no longer in existance...sadly), who grew up watching Brett Farve (and hoping his team would win so the despised Cowboys would not go to the next level), I think it would be fun to have him.
 That being said....I LOVE the copy/paste job...complete with advertisements  :rofl:  :rofl:

:thumbsup:  :thumbsup:

--------------
JESUS DID THE ORGANIZING for His church and whenever men go beyond that pattern (found only in the New Testament of Jesus Christ) they do so at their own peril. One needs to only read the New Testament to see the problem that has been created over the last two centuries within the churches.
 Post Number: 7
scary Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 21 2009,5:11 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(the breeze @ Jul. 21 2009,4:23 pm)

Breeze!

that was sarcasm

--------------
My avatar is proof that I give a crap  :sarcasm:
 Post Number: 8
hairhertz Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 21 2009,9:07 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

St. Favre will save the Vikings.  Not  :frusty:

--------------
metis movement
 Post Number: 9
the breeze Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 22 2009,11:00 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(scary @ Jul. 21 2009,5:11 pm)

Breeze!

that was sarcasm

what does that word mean.????

--------------
JESUS DID THE ORGANIZING for His church and whenever men go beyond that pattern (found only in the New Testament of Jesus Christ) they do so at their own peril. One needs to only read the New Testament to see the problem that has been created over the last two centuries within the churches.
 Post Number: 10
ControlledHyperness Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 22 2009,11:06 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(scary @ Jul. 21 2009,5:11 pm)

Breeze!

that was sarcasm

If I wanted it to be sarcastic, I would have inserted this :
:sarcasm:  :p  :p  :p  :rofl:

Seriously tho, it would be neat to have the ever popular icon of Green Bay as our own quarterback  :sarcasm:
(just for you scary) :oops:

Breeze,
  not to demean the smart mind that I have seen through your posts, but sarcasm is that twisted ironic use of words to emphasise a dislike of a particular subject. Wait...maybe that definition should be given to scary instead... :dunno:  :dunno:

--------------
I once had a thought...then it ran off before I could remember what it was...
16 replies since Jul. 16 2009,9:11 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 212>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply brett farve
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code
Emoticon Emoticon Emoticon Emoticon Emoticon Emoticon Emoticon Emoticon Emoticon Emoticon Emoticon