Search Members Help

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

1 members are viewing this topic
>Guest

Page 1 of 512345>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: What is So Great About Albert Lea?, What do you like?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
hymiebravo Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 06 2012,8:35 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Trail's truck stop is pretty nice.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
twingroves Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 06 2012,10:41 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

what is nice about it :dunno:
 Post Number: 3
bianca Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 06 2012,11:01 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Albert Lea is a beautiful town, a safe town, and a great place to raise your children...sometimes the city politics stink but that's everywhere. When comparing the bad to the good, I'd still choose Albert Lea any day for raising a family. :)  It's worth it to have to drive a little ways to make more money when you have a nice place to come home to.

--------------
I believe in the patriotism and energy and initiative of the average man. Woodrow Wilson

Early in life, I had to choose between honest arrogance and hypocritical humility. — Frank Lloyd Wright (1868-1959)
 Post Number: 4
This is my real name Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 06 2012,11:04 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I enjoy walking at the Blazing Star Trail and at Myre-Big Island State Park. Lots of beautiful scenery at both places, and wildlife photography opportunities if you get there at the right time.

I enjoy a few of our locally-owned "homegrown" restaurants - The Taco King, Jake's Pizza, Grandma's Kitchen (newer, but still good stuff), and B&B Cafe all come to mind.

I like the andouille sausage I can buy at Nick's Meats in Hayward (or at Trail's, since they carry it too). Fantastic Cajun-style sausage, made locally, lining the pockets locally instead of some huge corporation.

I like the service I get when I get my car serviced at Motor Inn. They get it done right at a reasonable price, and if not, they will make it right.

I like Frames-R-Us downtown, and go there to get my custom-cut mat boards for my photos. Yeah, you can save money by hitting a Hobby Lobby when they're on sale, but this is a custom-cut job with great service, again helping local businesses.

Those are a few things that come to mind that I personally like. Thank you for starting this thread. For as much as we complain about some things (mostly the way things are run here), it's nice to mention what we DO like.

--------------
PEZ the only candy you eat after your favorite fictional character spits it out of their tracheotomy hole.
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 06 2012,2:40 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

where are all the good jobs :dunno:
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 06 2012,4:05 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(twingroves @ Feb. 06 2012,2:40 pm)
where are all the good jobs :dunno:

They'll show up once we build a new library / high school / courthouse / walking trail / rusty streetlight / Blue Zone center.  :sarcasm:

That said, some of us do have good jobs. I have had great jobs, and some not so great, right here in Albert Lea. Did you mean for yourself, or in general? One thing we DO have here is Riverland. You might be able to find training for a great job there and either find something here, or take the training you got somewhere else and find a great job there.

/trying to keep this thread somewhat positive since it is about what we like

--------------
PEZ the only candy you eat after your favorite fictional character spits it out of their tracheotomy hole.
 Post Number: 7
cleanandsober70 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 06 2012,4:57 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Albert Lea is good for raising a family.That's about it unless you are retired then it's a great place.Jobs to raise a family on are very scarce in Albert Lea.The city council sucks!!They always vote down companies that want to bring in good jobs.3M cabelas just to mention a few.Albert Lea used to be a great city to grow up in.But my feelings on it now are not so good.But hopefully in the future things will get better.

--------------
hated by many loved by few
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 06 2012,9:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

what good does do to go to school and learn a trade when there is no jobs in albert lea :dunno:
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 06 2012,9:47 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(twingroves @ Feb. 06 2012,9:08 pm)
what good does do to go to school and learn a trade when there is no jobs in albert lea :dunno:

Hence my comment about taking your training and going somewhere else. If the community doesn't provide the jobs, at least the community college might provide a way to somewhere with jobs.

--------------
 Post Number: 10
hymiebravo Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 07 2012,6:22 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(twingroves @ Feb. 06 2012,10:41 am)
what is nice about it :dunno:

1. It has a neat vibe/aura/feel/presence. As far as truck stops go: You have a certain amount of them that have this sort of special status. Places like Little America, Boondocks USA and now a few that are just mega monster sized ones. I think that Trail's is pretty decent, and holds their own, in the regard/realm. It seems as nice as Little America. IMO

I've heard people in the Twin Cities area, say that they like to stop there, too.

I think they were even mentioned in USA Today a while back.

2. It is the first presence of Albert Lea on I-35, really, isn't it?

3. I don't think they ever close do they? lol
45 replies since Feb. 06 2012,8:35 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 512345>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply What is So Great About Albert Lea?
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code
Emoticon Emoticon Emoticon Emoticon Emoticon Emoticon Emoticon Emoticon Emoticon Emoticon Emoticon