Search Members Help

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

1 members are viewing this topic
>Guest

Page 1 of 212>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Commissioner prove once again, They don't have to answer to public< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
MADDOG Search for posts by this member.

Group: Moderator
PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 16 2011,12:44 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I don't know Rose Olmsted other than knowing who she is.  What I do know is that she was one of 11 workers with the Victims Crisis Center laid off last summer during the state shutdown and the only one not called back.  

I don't know if this lady was so entrenched in the system like Ahern or Meyer and the opportunity was there to remove her. Was there were differing opinions in her methods?  Since her layoff and non-reemployment their have been numerous letter requesting answers from the county board for either her return or explanations for her dismissal.  The letters all seem to note how educated and professional she was at her job.
In this day and age whenever we pick up our newspapers and see the crime, etc., going on, can you explain to me the reason your most experienced, hardest-working and most caring employee was “let go”?

I am speaking about Rose Olmsted, an employee for 38 years, who knew her department better than anyone there and could take over for any of her staff at a moment’s notice and did. She put in countless hours toward grants and any other monies to help her department and, hence, the victims she worked so tirelessly for. She has earned national recognition and awards for her excellence in her field. Whenever there was a disaster, she was there, be it Florida hurricanes or shootings at Cold Springs.

Rose Olmsted who has devoted decades to these organizations was summarily fired after the state shutdown ended. Although I can only speak for myself I believe we volunteers have given up many, many hours of our own time to assist victims not only because we wanted to help these victims but because we felt the county supported our efforts.
While working with Rose Olmsted, I observed an intelligent, compassionate, capable, articulate and loving individual. Why was her time cut short? Why wasn’t she called back after the layoff in July?

I sense there is an underlying story waiting to be told as to why Rose Olmsted’s talents are no longer utilized by Freeborn County Human Services. Let’s hear the real story!

County won't answer public

Has the county board now reverted back to days of old when they didn't give a rat's asp about answering to their constituents?

How about a statement to the public, Kluever?  The voting public deserves to know.

--------------
Actually my wife is especially happy when my google check arrives each month. Thanks to douchbags like you, I get paid just for getting you worked up.  -Liberal
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Liberal Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 16 2011,12:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

They got rid of a department head that wasn't needed, what else do you want them to tell you?

Do you think they should hire her back because her friends write letters to the editor?

--------------
The people are masters of both Congress and courts, not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow the men who pervert it!
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 3

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 16 2011,12:57 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I don't know if this lady was so entrenched in the system like Ahern or Meyer and the opportunity was there to remove her.
 Like I said, I'm asking.

They seem to keep the mutt lady in the vitality center that isn't needed.

--------------
Actually my wife is especially happy when my google check arrives each month. Thanks to douchbags like you, I get paid just for getting you worked up.  -Liberal
 Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 16 2011,1:14 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The letters all seem to note how educated and professional she was at her job.

Well if she's that good at her job she should have no problem finding a similar job.

--------------
The people are masters of both Congress and courts, not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow the men who pervert it!
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 16 2011,4:38 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Maybe the County board was sick of her asking to go everywhere anything happened. I thought she should have been gone after she requested to go to the Indian reservation where that school shooting happened. As far as I know the local county doesn't even do that considering it's an Indian reservation.

It is odd that the Tribune doesn't do a story on it, but I'm guessing nobody wants to talk about employment issues with the media since everyone is so quick to file a lawsuit these days.

--------------
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 16 2011,7:04 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I don't know if this lady was so entrenched in the system like Ahern or Meyer and the opportunity was there to remove her.
And this might have been the chance they had?  :dunno:  Funny how they didn't have 'nads big enough to get rid of Ahern after her last stunt of hiring Cur.

I'm sure the local county could only offer their assistance if requested by the tribal police.

--------------
 Post Number: 7
hymiebravo Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 17 2011,7:41 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

38 years? You should be able to retire, after about 25, working for Freeborn County shouldn't you? lol
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 30 2011,11:02 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I guess more to come on this one.

The former supervisor of the Freeborn County Crime Victims Crisis Center is alleging that she was terminated from her job as a result of retaliation or age and gender bias.

Rose Olmsted, 60, who had worked for Freeborn County for 38 years, sued the county of “discrimination and reprisal” Monday by filing charges with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission and the Minnesota Department of Human Rights.

In her suit, Olmsted alleges that the Freeborn County Board of Commissioners and her manager, Department of Human Services Director Brian Buhmann, used the state government shutdown this past summer as a ruse to terminate her employment with the county.

Rose OlmstedShe also alleges that Buhmann did not value the contributions of strong women in the department and alleges he attempted in part to justify Olmsted’s dismissal based on her salary level and tenure, both of which were traceable to her age, according to her lawyer, Lawrence Schaefer of Minneapolis.

Olmsted, who supervised the Crime Victims Crisis Center, also oversaw the Domestic Abuse Prevention Program and spearheaded the Freeborn County Crisis Response Team. The Crisis Response Team is trained to support people who have been affected by hurricanes, tornadoes, fires, floods, vehicle crashes and shootings, to name a few.

She was laid off during the shutdown in June but was ultimately terminated in October. She was the only non-union employee within the small department.

County officials have stated Olmsted’s position, which carried with it a salary of about $75,000 plus benefits, was cut as the county faces budget cuts in the coming year.

They said the services the crisis center provides were deemed not mandatory, suggesting it could be handled in the nonprofit realm, though they admitted it is likely other county programs would feel additional strain if the center’s programs were eliminated.

Freeborn County Administrator John Kluever said Tuesday afternoon he had not yet been notified of Olmsted’s suit against the county, but he and other officials were anticipating some action to come forward in December.

He declined to comment on the specific allegations without having seen any official documentation but noted that a lawyer through the Minnesota Counties Insurance Trust will represent Freeborn County.

Schaefer, of the Schaefer Law Firm of Minneapolis, argued that if finances truly motivated county officials, Olmsted would have been more than willing to discuss a transition into retirement that would have involved reduced duties and pay.

“This would have ensured that the most needy citizens of the county continued to benefit from her tireless advocacy, experience and management of the volunteer workforce,” Schaefer said.

He said Buhmann had clear motivation to retaliate against Olmsted and often expressed disdain for the services Olmsted was in charge of.

In the spring of 2011, Olmsted was required to participate in a consultation about staff morale and Buhmann’s management practices conducted at the county’s expense. In the consultation, Olmsted reported concerns about Buhmann’s management and his disdain for her, her volunteers and the crisis services.

Schaefer said Buhmann found out about the complaints and from that point forward was “overtly hostile” to Olmsted. He alleged that the director used the state shutdown as a pretext to justify her termination.

Look to the Tribune online and in print for more information on this story as it becomes available.

Kluever said he has tentatively scheduled a Dec. 20 closed session with the Freeborn County commissioners to discuss the allegations.

discrimination suit files against county

--------------
 Post Number: 9
Botto 82 Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 30 2011,11:37 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

She was the only non-union employee within the small department.

Oh. One of THOSE overachievers.

That explains everything.

--------------
Dear future generations: Please accept our apologies. We were rolling drunk on petroleum.

- Kurt Vonnegut
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Nov. 30 2011,12:15 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

As in AFSCME protected their own.  Or the county was afraid (as usual) to ruffle the feather of the union but could key in on one nonunion employee?  

The AFSCME is the second or third largest labor union in the country.

--------------
19 replies since Nov. 16 2011,12:44 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 212>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Commissioner prove once again
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code
Emoticon Emoticon Emoticon Emoticon Emoticon Emoticon Emoticon Emoticon Emoticon Emoticon Emoticon