Search Members Help

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

1 members are viewing this topic
>Guest

Page 1 of 3123>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Freeborn's ICE contract, like Kelli said, good or bad?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
MADDOG Search for posts by this member.

Group: Moderator
PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 08 2010,8:36 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The federal Immigration and Customs Enforcement agency sought places to house people in its custody awaiting deportation trials. Sheriff Mark Harig and his staff approached county officials about a contract with the feds as a way to offset jail expenses and to retain staff. The Freeborn County commissioners unamimously approved a contract to hold ICE prisoners at a special meeting on March 20, 2009.

The service agreement Freeborn County has with the federal Immigration and Customs Enforcement agency has become a topic of interest in the Freeborn County sheriff’s race, and many residents don’t know much about it.

Much of the debate centered on whether “it” is profitable. Sometimes “it” to one candidate meant jail, while to another it meant the ICE contract. No wonder people were confused.

In January of 2009, when it was not known whether ICE would come to the county, officials were preparing for both possibilities. County board Chairman Chris Shoff said local inmate numbers weren’t supporting the amount of staff in the jail and that the county was considering layoffs before the ICE contract was secured.

Instead, because the ICE contract was secured, the county hired for 17 positions. The people who filled these positions were hired with the knowledge that when the ICE contract ends, their job ends. As with any county job, officials did not calculate for unemployment benfits. This is because not everyone who leaves a job gets unemployment because they could find jobs elsewhere or leave under circumstances that do not qualify for unemployment checks.

Kelli's article
 No comments on this article in the chamber's Tribune.  I can't believe no one has anything to say obout this?  Is the contract good or the lesser of two evils?

--------------
Actually my wife is especially happy when my google check arrives each month. Thanks to douchbags like you, I get paid just for getting you worked up.  -Liberal
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
jazzy jeff Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 08 2010,9:09 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

where are the checks and balances here?

--------------
"we don't sell albums, we sell CD's"!

Kevin Freeland former President Musicland Group Inc.
 Post Number: 3
ControlledHyperness Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 08 2010,10:30 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(MADDOG @ Aug. 08 2010,8:36 am)
No comments on this article in the chamber's Tribune.  I can't believe no one has anything to say obout this?  Is the contract good or the lesser of two evils?

Uh...please refer to the thread dealing with comments :p  :rofl:

Seriously...there have been a couple of good articles the paper has run, but no comments. I think people have figured out they can comment here...provided that we have the article already over here to comment on  :D

--------------
I once had a thought...then it ran off before I could remember what it was...
 Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 08 2010,5:37 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I think people have figured out they can comment here...provided that we have the article already over here to comment on
 Kind of what I thought.  

This is one of those topics some people have complained about the Tribune not doing a followup.  The unfortunate deal with this is there is really only one source of information and that's the county.  Can you trust them to provide all the information?  :dunno:   Everything I've heard though is that this contract is helping to minimize the monstrosity that Springborg, Behrends and Mullenbach built with our money.  You look to our south at Mitchell County and they haven't finished paying for their jail and already talking about having to lay off employees and the consideration of closing the jail or a portion of it.  And they haven't even finished paying for it yet and it's obviously far smaller than ours.

ICE should be running our jail at full capacity at all times.  If they are not, they're not doing their job properly.  But then, there was just a vote of no confidence of border security in ICE leadership.

In an unprecedented move within the Department of Homeland Security, the special agents responsible for enforcing our nation’s immigration laws issued an exhaustive, scathing letter simply titled “VOTE OF NO CONFIDENCE IN ICE DIRECTOR JOHN MORTON AND ODPP ASSISTANT DIRECTOR PHYLLIS COVEN” on June 11, 2010. The letter, acquired through sources, provides a litany of examples of how ICE’s mission is being skewed towards supporting an unflinching goal of amnesty by refusing to allow agents to do their job; allowing criminal aliens to roam free; depleting resources for key enforcement initiatives that preceded this administration; and misrepresenting facts and programs, demeaning the extent of the criminal alien problem and geared to support amnesty.

It just seems that the networks don't want to make that report.  See press release from the ICE Union.

That tells me that ICE could probably be filling up many county jails with illegals if there was some continuity in the laws that are on the books.

--------------
Actually my wife is especially happy when my google check arrives each month. Thanks to douchbags like you, I get paid just for getting you worked up.  -Liberal
 Post Number: 5
alcitizens Search for posts by this member.
Albert Lea

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 08 2010,6:36 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The ICE contract requires a certain amount of beds to remain available for local issue's. You know like riots againts McDonalds for discontinuing the frikin McRib or something like that..
 Post Number: 6
gijoeman Search for posts by this member.
H-E-Double Hockey Sticks

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 08 2010,9:39 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

pulled pork from Subway bisnitch.
 Post Number: 7
Glad I Left Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 08 2010,9:58 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

You know like riots againts McDonalds for discontinuing the frikin McRib or something like that..

:rofl: Nice one!!

--------------
After we screw up health care reform, let's take on the initiative of unscrewing the education system (gov't education)
Tacitus: (c. 56 AD-c. 117) "The more corrupt the state, the more it legislates."
 Post Number: 8
City Worker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 09 2010,4:45 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

This reminds me of the  song , Ice Ice Baby.
 Post Number: 9
usmcr Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 09 2010,8:32 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

new guidelines for ICE:

The new guidelines are outlined in a June 29 memo from Assistant Secretary John Morton, who heads the agency, to all ICE employees regarding the apprehension, detention and removal of illegal immigrants, noting that the agency "only has resources to remove approximately 400,000 aliens per year, less than 4 percent of the estimated illegal-alien population in the United States."

Mr. Morton said ICE needed to focus wisely on the limited resources Congress had provided the agency and would "prioritize the apprehension and removal of aliens who only pose a threat to national security and/or public safety, such as criminals and terrorists."

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news...llegals

over time this will impact the ICE contract as fewer illegals are detained!

--------------
"Do not confuse dissent with disloyalty"  Edward R Murrow

Memento homo quia pulvis es, et in pulverem veverteris
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 09 2010,12:35 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(usmcr @ Aug. 09 2010,8:32 am)
the agency "only has resources to remove approximately 400,000 aliens per year, less than 4 percent of the estimated illegal-alien population in the United States."

Mr. Morton said ICE needed to focus wisely on the limited resources Congress had provided the agency and would "prioritize the apprehension and removal of aliens who only pose a threat to national security and/or public safety, such as criminals and terrorists."

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news...llegals

over time this will impact the ICE contract as fewer illegals are detained!

HUH?  At 4%, the ICE contract has the potential for years even if the borders were sealed.

The need to focus on only those who pose a threat to national security?

Wouldn't anyone who snuck into the country in the dead of night pose a risk?  No wonder that Homeland Security and in particular the head of ICE received a unanimous vote of no confidence from border security agents and their union in which their letter stated that the department was misleading the people of the United States  regarding illegal immigration in order to further a pro-amnesty agenda.

--------------
22 replies since Aug. 08 2010,8:36 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 3123>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Freeborn's ICE contract
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code
Emoticon Emoticon Emoticon Emoticon Emoticon Emoticon Emoticon Emoticon Emoticon Emoticon Emoticon