>Guest

Page 1 of 3123>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Design Standards, Are they serious?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
howie Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 01 2009,1:16 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I read the "Design Standards" that the City Planning Commission proposed today.  The City Council rejected them and set them back to the Commission, but they should be asking what in the HE double toothpicks, the staff was thinking.

The staff would save us from such unsightly buildings as Ben's Floral and the Country Inn and Suites.   :sarcasm:

One of the standards would require any side of a building, facing a street, would have to have at least 50% glass.   This would prevent us from looking at another unsightly building such as the Green Mill. :sarcasm:

I try so hard not to be one of the "it's the City's fault" we have not grown.  But this even seeing the light of day may be the last straw.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Liberal Search for posts by this member.

Group: Moderator
PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 01 2009,1:25 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Glass is expensive to install, it's R-value sucks, and why do I want to watch people eat, and drink?

--------------
The people are masters of both Congress and courts, not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow the men who pervert it!
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 3
howie Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 01 2009,1:34 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Are you asking me?  I have not idea why someone would think this makes sense.  I was thinking about the old Donut Hut/K and K building on South Broadway, which I think looks nice.  Three sides face a city street.  I wonder if the Pacer is going to make a come back?
 Post Number: 4
Common Citizen Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 01 2009,9:30 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My office has had it's share of HVAC problems because my store front is 95% glass and faces south.  On cloudy days the temp was perfect but on sunny days both me and my clients would have sweat running down our faces.  

We've tried everything from zoning to 3M reflective tint.  Several thousand dollars later, I think we finally have it zoned properly.

Imo, the city needs to forget about having that much window on the store fronts and work with the building owners on doing away with all the crappy cheap looking tin, especially down town.    A store front sign ordinance would do wonders to the eye appeal of that area.  

There's nothing like looking at the beautiful hanging plant with a cheap arse tattoo sign behind it.    :sarcasm:
 Post Number: 5
Paul Harvey Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 01 2009,9:49 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Huh? What you talkin' bout Beavis?

--------------
~I love trolling n00bs and pwning assholes~
 Post Number: 6
Common Citizen Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 01 2009,10:03 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

We're talking about design standards and I was commenting on the proposal to have 50% of the store fronts, glass.

Does that help?
 Post Number: 7
the breeze Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 01 2009,11:18 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(howie @ Sep. 01 2009,1:34 am)
Are you asking me?  I have not idea why someone would think this makes sense.  I was thinking about the old Donut Hut/K and K building on South Broadway, which I think looks nice.  Three sides face a city street.  I wonder if the Pacer is going to make a come back?

i always thought the donut hut in the kwik trip was a good looking place. and  built " like a rock "

--------------
JESUS DID THE ORGANIZING for His church and whenever men go beyond that pattern (found only in the New Testament of Jesus Christ) they do so at their own peril. One needs to only read the New Testament to see the problem that has been created over the last two centuries within the churches.
 Post Number: 8
GEOKARJO Search for posts by this member.
Google This!!!

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 01 2009,11:39 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Talking cheap arse sign Tequilia bar is nothing but a printed banner tied across the old Grumpys sign. However it makes sense not to spend a lot of money on a sign in that building.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 9
Joe The Plumber Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 01 2009,11:54 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I watched the city council meeting a few weeks ago when Bob Graham ( City planner ) was talking about this subject.  

It just sounds like there trying to model our town after Red Wing, Minnesota.

Albert Lea will never be a Red Wing. Red Wing is a river town with many historic buildings. Next time your there check out the old railroad depot that they turned into a Hardees food place.

Red Wing and Lake City Minnesota , are two favorite motorcycle trip rides for me and the wife.

Next time your in the area , take a ride up and down the river.      :D
 Post Number: 10
Botto 82 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 01 2009,1:43 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

At least you have most of the downtown I grew up with. Here in Austin, historical buildings are deemed expendable, and are torn down or torched as soon as possible.

If you ever do get your local economy turned around, you'll be glad you kept 'em.

--------------
Dear future generations: Please accept our apologies. We were rolling drunk on petroleum.

- Kurt Vonnegut
21 replies since Sep. 01 2009,1:16 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 3123>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Design Standards
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code
Emoticon Emoticon Emoticon Emoticon Emoticon Emoticon Emoticon Emoticon Emoticon Emoticon Emoticon