[ Log In :: Register ]

1 members are viewing this topic
>Guest

Page 1 of 212>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: $5,838 per Hour, Cost of County Salaries< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
danbelshan Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 12 2009,3:16 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yesterday the county board received these numbers from our finance department:

Furloughs (savings in salaries, assuming 100% participation and no overtime)

Savings if all county employees took time off without pay
One hour=$5,838
One day=$46,704
Six days=$280,224
Twelve days=$560,448

Hours and days would be decided between the employee and Department Head.

http://www.kttc.com/Global/story.asp?S=9880960

http://kaaltv.com/article/stories/S828335.shtml?cat=10151

Olmsted County has a 12 day mandatory furlough per employee in place, which saved them 3.5 milion dollars.
I have spoken with Olmsted commissioners, who see it working well.

My opinion: With taxpayers being cut back on their hours and days, it seems appropriate that  people whose salaries are paid by taxpayers should do the same, rather than raise taxes on people earning less.

--------------
Go to danbelshan.com for my newsletters.
Go to Dan Belshan on facebook to get the latest.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
ControlledHyperness Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 12 2009,3:43 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I am going to ask this, as I KNOW someone will take this info and run the completely WRONG way with it....

How many county workers are there in Freeborn County that this pay covers? I am figuring the commisioners (such as yourself), but who else? This way, some of the numbers can be broken down for some of us on the lower end of the pay scale to see :):):)

On a side note....even if that pay is just between the five or six people..I wish MY family could make that much in a day!!! My husband makes less in one YEAR then all county employees do in one DAY! And before people ask, by less I mean HALF (to spell it out for those who forget to read). Oh well :):)

--------------
I once had a thought...then it ran off before I could remember what it was...
 Post Number: 3
Paul Harvey Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 12 2009,3:53 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Good call Mr. Belshan. You are the lone watchdog it seems when it comes to keeping a lid on the books. Looks like an effective way to cut costs and if rich Mayo and IBM country can do it, we can do it. We certainly are not as rich as them but we spend like it. If the county farmed they'd lose millions every year.

--------------
~I love trolling n00bs and pwning assholes~
 Post Number: 4
Joe The Plumber Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 12 2009,6:47 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

DANBELSHAN,

Keep up the good work.    :rockon:

I know you take alot of " CRAP " up there , but that just tells us that your doing the best job.
 Post Number: 5
Botto 82 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 12 2009,6:54 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I wish there were more like you in charge over here, Dan.

Keep up the good works.

--------------
Dear future generations: Please accept our apologies. We were rolling drunk on petroleum.

- Kurt Vonnegut
 Post Number: 6
pantalonesverdes Search for posts by this member.
Rob ('n hood)

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 13 2009,5:49 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

As I understand it, the second biggest percentage of the county tax money collected from us goes to Welfare/DHS (according to numbers on a handout I got from a meeting a while back).  The amount that goes to Welfare/DHS is about 45% more than goes to roads & bridges... or 55% more than goes towards payments on the new courhouse building and running the jail combined.  Perhaps danbelshan can confirm or clarify the accuracy of these numbers.  
:popcorn:
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 7
hymiebravo Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 13 2009,6:05 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

according to numbers on a handout I got from a meeting a while back

Is that where you got that popcorn at? Did they have soda too? lol

It must getting stale by now. . .
 Post Number: 8
MADDOG Search for posts by this member.

Group: Moderator
PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 13 2009,7:31 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

For your viewing pleasure.  The 2009 Adopted Budget.

--------------
Actually my wife is especially happy when my google check arrives each month. Thanks to douchbags like you, I get paid just for getting you worked up.  -Liberal
 Post Number: 9
jimhanson Search for posts by this member.

Group: Moderator
PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 14 2009,7:05 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Just looking at the title to this--that's nearly $6000 an hour.

That would be $100 a MINUTE.

1 2/3 bucks a SECOND.

Watch a bank teller--they count out money FAST, but I don't think THEY could count out $100 in $1 bills every minute.

Next time you see a bank teller counting out money, think of this--this is how fast money is going out JUST FOR THE PAYROLL SIDE--let alone other expenses.

Try it--can YOU count out $100 a minute in $1 bills? :dunno:

--------------
"If you want to anger a Conservative, tell him a lie.  If you want to anger a LIBERAL, tell him the TRUTH!"
 Post Number: 10
hymiebravo Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 14 2009,10:09 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

TOM BROKAW
Published: April 19, 2009
DURING these uncertain times we’ve yet to hear a phrase with the resonance of Franklin Roosevelt’s “The only thing we have to fear is fear itself,” but there are a couple of minor-chord expressions that should have staying power.

One is the observation of Rahm Emanuel, the White House chief of staff, that “you never want a serious crisis to go to waste.” Another comes from my boss, Jeff Immelt, the chief executive of General Electric, who has warned, “This is not a cycle; it’s a reset.”

Taken together, these remarks challenge us to go beyond trying to quickly fix the immediate problems of toxic mortgages, risky banks, a struggling American car industry and escalating health care costs. If the American people are tuned into the need to change the irresponsible, inefficient practices and systems that created those problems, why not enlist them to take the next step and radically change the antiquated public structures that exist beyond the Beltway?

Here are a few examples. It’s estimated that New York State has about 10,500 local government entities, from townships to counties to special districts. A year ago a bipartisan state commission said that New Yorkers could save more than a billion dollars a year by consolidating and sharing local government responsibilities like public security, health, roads and education.

One commission member, a county executive, said, “Our system of local government has barely evolved over the past one hundred years and we are still governed by these same archaic institutions formed before the invention of the light bulb, telephone, automobile and computer.”

In accepting the commission’s recommendations, Gov. David Paterson promised to work diligently to put the changes into effect. When his budget was presented this spring it included several of the proposed changes, but it immediately met stiff resistance even from members of his own party who were determined to protect their parochial interests. It appears that few of the original recommendations will survive.

In my native Great Plains, North and South Dakota have a combined population of just under 1.5 million people, and in each state the rural areas are being depopulated at a rapid rate. Yet between them the two Dakotas support 17 colleges and universities. They are a carry-over from the early 20th century when travel was more difficult and farm families wanted their children close by during harvest season.

I know this is heresy, but couldn’t the two states get a bigger bang for their higher education buck if they consolidated their smaller institutions into, say, the Dakota Territory College System, with satellite campuses but a common administration and shared standards?

Iowa, next door, is having its own struggles with maintaining population, especially among the young. As the Hawkeye State’s taxpayers grow older and less financially productive, the cost of government services becomes more expensive.

Yet Iowa proudly maintains its grid of 99 counties, each with its own distinctive courthouse, many on the National Register of Historic Places — and some as little as 40 miles away from one another. Each one houses a full complement of clerks, auditors, sheriff’s deputies, jailers and commissioners. Is there any reason beyond local pride to maintain such duplication given the economic and population pressures of our time?

This is not a problem unique to the states I have cited. Every state and every region in the country is stuck with some form of anachronistic and expensive local government structure that dates to horse-drawn wagons, family farms and small-town convenience.

If this is a reset, it’s time to reorganize our state and local government structures for today’s realities rather than cling to the sensibilities of the 20th century.

If we demand this from General Motors, we should ask no less of ourselves.

Tom Brokaw, a special correspondent for NBC News, is the author, most recently, of “Boom! Talking About the ’60s.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2009....emc=rss
11 replies since Aug. 12 2009,3:16 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 212>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply $5,838 per Hour
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code
Emoticon Emoticon Emoticon Emoticon Emoticon Emoticon Emoticon Emoticon Emoticon Emoticon Emoticon