Yes 38  [57.58%]
No 21  [31.82%]
maybe 4  [6.06%]
i don't know 3  [4.55%]
Guests cannot vote
Page 1 of 2012345>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Are we in a Recession?, Your opinion, please?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
usmcr Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 24 2007,5:04 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

a definition of a recession:
when you lose your job it is a recession, when i lose my job it is a depression!
the statistics for albert lea the last i heard was that the unemployment figure was at just about 6% & with the construction season approaching i think that figure will be higher. the old pay check will be stretched thinner with the heating season just around the corner. look for the discretionary spending to be tight!

The United States has entered a recession, according to highly-regarded investor Jim Rogers, who told Britain's Daily Telegraph newspaper on Wednesday he was switching out of the dollar and into yen, the yuan and the Swiss franc.

--------------
"Do not confuse dissent with disloyalty"  Edward R Murrow

Memento homo quia pulvis es, et in pulverem veverteris
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
jimhanson Search for posts by this member.

Group: Moderator
PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 24 2007,5:40 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

From Dictionary.com
Wallstreet Words - Cite This Source - Share This
recession

An extended decline in general business activity. The National Bureau of Economic Research formally defines a recession as three consecutive quarters of falling real gross domestic product. A recession affects different securities in different ways. For example, holders of high-quality bonds stand to benefit because inflation and interest rates may decline. Conversely, stockholders of manufacturing firms will probably see company profits and dividends drop.

There is the benchmark.  Either we are or aren't.  I haven't seen 3 consecutive quarters--and even that is somewhat subjective.  For example, if GDP rose FAST, and then leveled off to NORMAL from that rate, it might be seen "declining".  Cause to worry?  Probably not.

The stock market is high--buoyed in part from overseas investment.  Unemployment nationwide is about as low as possible--nearly everyone that wants a job has one.  Moving into foreign currencies?  Speculators do that all the time--look at George Soros.  The weak dollar bodes well for other countries to buy OUR products.

--------------
"If you want to anger a Conservative, tell him a lie.  If you want to anger a LIBERAL, tell him the TRUTH!"
 Post Number: 3
TameThaTane Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 24 2007,7:23 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

What products?  :laugh:

Not many left. What this does is really stick it to China. Now all the dollars they're getting are worth less, yet they're still doing the same work and our costs aren't going up. We made it so were really getting stuff cheap now.

No, this is not a recession because everyones working. But the old economy has changed. Less middle class, more poor and more rich. Health care eating up a HUGE amount of income. Certain segments continue to increase greater than inflation over time destroying our standard of living. Taxes, health care, college.

--------------
My choice is what I choose to do,
And if I'm causing no harm, it shouldn't bother you.
Your choice is who you choose to be,
And if you're causin' no harm, then you're alright with me.
 Post Number: 4
hot84svo Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 24 2007,9:49 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

We may not be in a recession - Inflation is back.

Inflation is like a nail in a tire, letting air out, it causes it to go flat without the driver knowing until it's too late.

It hurts communities where the majority is on a fixed income and does not have a skill set to demand or create higher wages.

--------------
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i06sv3-cZko
 Post Number: 5
Botto 82 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 25 2007,12:44 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TameThaTane @ Oct. 24 2007,7:23 pm)
What products!  :laugh:

I think your emphasis would have been more widely picked-up on had you used a question mark, but what do I know? I'm the one on the short bus.

We still make cars here, last I looked. Trucks, too. Tanks. Airplanes. Munitions. Guns. Buses (short and long). SPAM. Enderes Tools. American Television. All the glass for the new Freedom Tower.

--------------
Dear future generations: Please accept our apologies. We were rolling drunk on petroleum.

- Kurt Vonnegut
 Post Number: 6
Common Citizen Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 25 2007,9:17 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Ya let's raise taxes then...that will help our economy... :sarcasm:

Donk's Want to Raise Taxes

:dunce:

Attached Image
Attached Image
 Post Number: 7
TameThaTane Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 25 2007,9:29 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Donk's want to curb spending. Neocons want to attack Iran. They have WMD's.

--------------
My choice is what I choose to do,
And if I'm causing no harm, it shouldn't bother you.
Your choice is who you choose to be,
And if you're causin' no harm, then you're alright with me.
 Post Number: 8
Botto 82 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 25 2007,10:23 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The current crew of neo-fascists doesn't resemble either party, save the vehement opposition to stem cell research.

I'd love to see one of you amBushCo faithful explain that one.

--------------
Dear future generations: Please accept our apologies. We were rolling drunk on petroleum.

- Kurt Vonnegut
 Post Number: 9
katlade Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 25 2007,11:15 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I am just concerned about the price of oil going up to $100 per barrel. That is what they are talking about now. Gas could be up to $5 a gallon. That is just crazy, who the hell can afford that.
I think the plan is to raise it to $5 so when it goes down to $3.50 we will all be relieved. If they raise it to $3.50 now everyone will be up in arms so why not raise it real high and then lower it to what they really want it to be.
This is what they have been doing for the last few years and we all just go along with it.

--------------
"Stupid is as stupid does"
 Post Number: 10
Liberal Search for posts by this member.

Group: Moderator
PostIcon Posted on: Oct. 25 2007,1:23 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

The weak dollar bodes well for other countries to buy OUR products.

You been flying without O2 again?

You're trying to imply that a weak dollar will somehow increase our standard of living because other countries will buy all our products?

If a weak dollar is good then maybe we should print up 10X the amount of dollars that are in circulation and then other countries can buy 10X as many products as before. :sarcasm:

The Looney (the Canadian dollar, not Jimhanson) is almost at parity with the American dollar because of the dollar's weakness, and nobody is expecting the Canadians to buy more American products, they're just going to buy cheaper American products.

--------------
The people are masters of both Congress and courts, not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow the men who pervert it!
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
197 replies since Oct. 24 2007,5:04 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 2012345>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Are we in a Recession?
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code
Emoticon Emoticon Emoticon Emoticon Emoticon Emoticon Emoticon Emoticon Emoticon Emoticon Emoticon