>Guest

Page 1 of 212>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: School lunches< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
MADDOG Search for posts by this member.

Group: Moderator
PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 13 2014,11:21 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

With the recent episode in Utah where the school threw lunches in the garbage because some students didn't have the proper funds to pay for a hot meal much has been said.

In doing a little googling, I've found some school policies.  I've also found where a school policy and what it is said they do to be two different things.  

Many schools who say they always provide hot meals for the less fortunate children actually do just that.  Others claim they do but reports may conflict.  Some stamp a label on the child while others give them a cold meal.

I believe in taking care of these children and want to see them taken care of but the complaint given by many that this is the only nutritious meal some of these kids get each day part doesn't cut it entirely with me.  

In the school system I live in, all kids are fed lunches.  (I don't have any kids in the system, but my sister teaches.)  There are several families who need assistance.  There are also some who likely mismanage their money, some that spend it on booze, smokes and gambling and I can think of one family where the parents aren't responsible enough to bathe let alone raise kids.

How does the school district in your area handle this problem?

--------------
Actually my wife is especially happy when my google check arrives each month. Thanks to douchbags like you, I get paid just for getting you worked up.  -Liberal
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 14 2014,3:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

87 looks and no one has a comment.  :dunno:

Waseca superintendent and legal aid organization paint different pictures of school lunch program

Tom Lee, Waseca Public Schools superintendent, said the report does not provide a fair portrayal...the report puts Waseca Public Schools on a list of districts that either immediately or eventually refuse to serve food to children that qualify for reduced-price lunches, but cannot afford a 40 cent copay.

“The report published [Monday] implies grossly inaccurate information,” Lee said. “No student in Waseca Schools is denied a nutritious meal.”

But Jessica Webster, a staff attorney from Mid-Minnesota Legal Aid, the group that published the report, said Waseca Schools’ nutrition director Jason Forshee told a different story.

“The Waseca nutrition director- Jason Forshee- explicitly told me over the phone that Waseca does NOT provide hot or alternative meals to grades 6-12,” Webster wrote in an email. “He said trays are sometimes pulled and these children need to learn responsibility and accountability for themselves. When I said 12 year-olds don’t have jobs, he just laughed. “

Webster also cited a document sent by Forshee to Mid-Minnesota Legal Aid, saying it mentioned unfortunate tray pulling, or taking meals away from children.

“He further stated he is under tremendous district pressure to keep his budget “in the black” and that if he feeds children who do not pay, it will be “bye, bye, Jason” and he will lose his job,” Webster said in an email sent Thursday to Waseca Superintendent Tom Lee and School Board members.

The document, provided to the County News by both Mid-Minnesota Legal Aid and Waseca Public Schools, says it is district policy that food service purchases are not made on credit.

“We know it is hard to have to remove a child’s meal,” the document, carrying Forshee’s signature, says. “No one wants to do this. However, it is the district policy that we not let food service purchases be charged.

There is a rainbow in this.  Or should I say, an  :angel: .

--------------
Actually my wife is especially happy when my google check arrives each month. Thanks to douchbags like you, I get paid just for getting you worked up.  -Liberal
 Post Number: 3
Self-Banished Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 14 2014,3:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm just thinking back to when my kids where in school, I never heard of kids being denied lunch, I'd get a little note from my kids if they fell behind on payment, no biggy, cut a check.

--------------
:D Remember boys and girls,

Don’t be a Dick :D

Or a “Wayne” :oops:
 Post Number: 4
alcitizens Search for posts by this member.
Albert Lea

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 14 2014,8:33 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I agree with SB..

Why do some people complicate what is so simple?
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 15 2014,6:50 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

MD probably referring to the kids where their parents don't pay for one reason or another.

--------------

Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 15 2014,8:43 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Naw, although I have one, I wasn't trying to give  an opinion.

--------------
 Post Number: 7
irisheyes Search for posts by this member.

Group: Super Administrators
PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 17 2014,7:57 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The Minnesota Commissioner of Education was recently interviewed about this.  Tried to embed, but won't happen, here's the link. TPT Almanac

Not sure how our school district does it.  A teacher from further up north told me accounts aren't supposed to go negative by much, but often they do just because nobody wants to be the one to deny the account any further charges.  In your Googling, did you find out anything about free lunches?  I thought some qualified for those.

Self-Banished:
I'm just thinking back to when my kids where in school, I never heard of kids being denied lunch, I'd get a little note from my kids if they fell behind on payment, no biggy, cut a check.

I suppose if you were in school you'd follow the kids with free lunches outside to see what kind of bike they were riding?   :p

--------------
You know it's going to be a bad day when you cross thread the cap on the toothpaste.
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 18 2014,4:44 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

^yep, impound it. :finger:

--------------

Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 18 2014,10:56 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

In your Googling, did you find out anything about free lunches?  I thought some qualified for those.
 I hadn't done any googling on "free lunches."  Sheesh!  Everyone one wants a free lunch, free ride, gimme, gimme, gimme.  :D  

Yeah, it looks like the feds do have a free and reduce lunch program that must be funneled through the Mn. Dept. of Ed.  
Households that have already been approved for the following public assistance programs can complete an Application for Educational Benefits using case number(s) instead of household income information:
•Food Stamps
•Minnesota Family Investment Program (MFIP)
•Food Distribution Program on Indian Reservations (FDPIR)

Children approved for these programs may be “directly certified” for free school meals, based on data supplied to MDE by the Minnesota Department of Human Services. For more information, see Direct Certification.

--------------
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 18 2014,12:02 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Minnesota Family Investment Progam?
Is that code for "slam dunk" democrat vote?

--------------

13 replies since Feb. 13 2014,11:21 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 212>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply School lunches
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code
Emoticon Emoticon Emoticon Emoticon Emoticon Emoticon Emoticon Emoticon Emoticon Emoticon Emoticon