[ Log In :: Register ]

1 members are viewing this topic
>Guest

Page 1 of 41234>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Mpls schools< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Santorini Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 15 2012,9:13 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Minneapolis schools may lower academic standard for participating in school sports?  Really?
I thought there was a state,
(mn state high school league) across the board school standard..didnt know it was up to individual schools to determine eligibility requirements :dunno:
First the state does away with NCLB accountability because less then 1/2 of the schools couldnt meet the standards, virtually doing away with accountability measures and school responsibility.  Now mpls. wants to dumb it down further?
What happened to sport/ extra curricular activity participation being like a reward for acceptable academia, ya know, you want it...you work for it!

--------------
"Things turn out best for those who make the best
 of the way things turned out."    Jack Buck
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
grassman Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 15 2012,12:50 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I think the whole thing has turned into a money producing culture.  Sportsmanship is a thing of the past. Make as much money off of everything. Rules are meant for breaking, as long as you win. Face it. If you are spending too much time on books, you are not concentrating on the game. WINNING!

--------------
git er done!
 Post Number: 3
Botto 82 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 15 2012,1:22 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Given the horrible examples of grammar and spelling I see on a day-to-day basis on Facebook, it's fairly apparent that a high-school diploma doesn't mean much anymore. And I've always had an issue with the über-emphasis on high school Dumb-ball programs. Most of the guys on my HS football team were mouth-breathing morons who barely got by, academically speaking.

If you want your kids to get a decent education, send them to China. They're kicking our ass in this regard, as well.

--------------
Dear future generations: Please accept our apologies. We were rolling drunk on petroleum.

- Kurt Vonnegut
 Post Number: 4
Self-Banished Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 15 2012,2:40 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(grassman @ Dec. 15 2012,12:50 pm)
I think the whole thing has turned into a money producing culture.  Sportsmanship is a thing of the past. Make as much money off of everything. Rules are meant for breaking, as long as you win. Face it. If you are spending too much time on books, you are not concentrating on the game. WINNING!

From where I see it it's not about money, they're taught it's about begging and being lazy.

Who's rules we talking here? Sportsmanship is a subjective term.

--------------
:D Remember boys and girls,

Don’t be a Dick :D

Or a “Wayne” :oops:
 Post Number: 5
Moparman Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 15 2012,6:33 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Botto 82 @ Dec. 15 2012,1:22 pm)
Given the horrible examples of grammar and spelling I see on a day-to-day basis on Facebook, it's fairly apparent that a high-school diploma doesn't mean much anymore. And I've always had an issue with the über-emphasis on high school Dumb-ball programs. Most of the guys on my HS football team were mouth-breathing morons who barely got by, academically speaking.

If you want your kids to get a decent education, send them to China. They're kicking our ass in this regard, as well.

And I bet these "morons" were still more popular than you. And surely you realize that success these days is more about who you know instead of what you know. Working together as a team is an enormously important skill to have and sports is an excellant way build that skill. Participating in sports programs is also a very good way to keep kids out of trouble, especially in successful inner city programs. And like any other activity its only as good as the people running it.

I'm surprised there is time for any extracurricular activities these days with the 2+ hours of homework kids are forced to do.

And if China has such a great education system why do the have to steal and copy technology from all over the world?
 Post Number: 6
irisheyes Search for posts by this member.

Group: Super Administrators
PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 16 2012,7:46 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Santorini @ Dec. 15 2012,9:13 am)
First the state does away with NCLB accountability because less then 1/2 of the schools couldnt meet the standards, virtually doing away with accountability measures and school responsibility.  

Minnesota has numerous testing requirements, we still do regardless of any changes with NCLB.  I don't want you to go on thinking they're, "virtually doing away with accountability measures and school responsibility", so here's the laws, credit, and testing requirements:  House Research, State Legislature, MN Dept of Education, Testing Requirements, MN Dept of Education, Graduation Requirements

Now mpls. wants to dumb it down further?
What happened to sport/ extra curricular activity participation being like a reward for acceptable academia, ya know, you want it...you work for it!

You included no sources and no details on the issue.  So I spent a couple minutes on Google to find out.  They're discussing lowering the GPA requirements below C for students who are showing improvement and passing all their classes.  The benefit is obvious for the individual students and the school as a whole.  
The district says, their research shows that kids who play sports have better attendance and grades than those who don't.

"We're looking for an opportunity to get them engaged in something and through that engagement we feel that student will be on the pathway toward academic success," Wicker said.

KSTP:  Academic Standards Could Change for Sports

I suppose you'd rather we just stick with things like NCLB, and if the student is behind, we just label the whole school as a failure.  And in hopes of getting them on track, they'll cut their funding and tell them they're all stupid.  Who could've thought of such a magnificent plan!?   :sarcasm:

Reminds me of the South Park episode where one child is obese (Eric Cartman), so they label the whole school as obese and an utter failure in physical fitness.

--------------
You know it's going to be a bad day when you cross thread the cap on the toothpaste.
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 16 2012,8:09 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

But aren't we still left with the subjective opinion of the teachers? If this is so, they would probably lean towards "social promotion" just to keep them with their friends or just to rid themselves of a problem.

--------------

Post Number: 8
grassman Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 16 2012,8:40 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I see SB learned a new word...subjective. :laugh:

--------------
git er done!
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 16 2012,9:05 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

^ I like old words too, dumbass :dunce:

--------------

Post Number: 10
Santorini Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 16 2012,11:23 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(irisheyes @ Dec. 16 2012,7:46 am)

(Santorini @ Dec. 15 2012,9:13 am)
First the state does away with NCLB accountability because less then 1/2 of the schools couldnt meet the standards, virtually doing away with accountability measures and school responsibility.  

Minnesota has numerous testing requirements, we still do regardless of any changes with NCLB.  I don't want you to go on thinking they're, "virtually doing away with accountability measures and school responsibility", so here's the laws, credit, and testing requirements:  House Research, State Legislature, MN Dept of Education, Testing Requirements, MN Dept of Education, Graduation Requirements

Now mpls. wants to dumb it down further?

You included no sources and no details on the issue.  So I spent a couple minutes on Google to find out.  They're discussing lowering the GPA requirements below C for students who are showing improvement and passing all their classes.  The benefit is obvious for the individual students and the school as a whole.  
The district says, their research shows that kids who play sports have better attendance and grades than those who don't.

"We're looking for an opportunity to get them engaged in something and through that engagement we feel that student will be on the pathway toward academic success," Wicker said.

KSTP:  Academic Standards Could Change for Sports

I suppose you'd rather we just stick with things like NCLB, and if the student is behind, we just label the whole school as a failure.  And in hopes of getting them on track, they'll cut their funding and tell them they're all stupid.  Who could've thought of such a magnificent plan!?   :sarcasm:

Reminds me of the South Park episode where one child is obese (Eric Cartman), so they label the whole school as obese and an utter failure in physical fitness.

I think you like to argue for the sake of arguing :dunno:
The Multiple Measures Rating is now used in MN to measure a students/schools success.  It is, however, very ambiguous, and still uses standarized testing which is still human testing which we know fails in objectivity!  
The MMR looks at proficiency, growth, achievement gap reduction, graduation rates.  Does not address retention rates! It measures schools/students against others within the state to come up with progress scores.  Wealthier schools with less diversity (ESL, free lunch, LD) will score lower because of these new calculations.  They will not have the numbers in the subgroups.  This growth measure puts students learning English along side students having a bad day, alongside students with cognitive or other disabilities and what is slow growth for one might be impressive growth for another but the new scores are unable to read that.
But...the voucher rules also no longer require manditory set-asides for staff development.  Why if the concern is about school improvement would they eliminate teacher professional development requirements--makes no sense.
(quote): The voucher frees schools from the burdonsome requirement to show continuous progress that educators have insisted have no practical value for students or teachers. (unquote)
Really? What is the purpose of education if not for students to continually show progress :dunno:
It is still educational discrimination...there is less expectations placed on the subgroups evidenced by the lower MMR number available to those groups vs their mainstream classmates.
YES...funding should be like in any other type of business that offers bonuses...you perform well and do your job than a bonus can be rewarded!  You dont, well then ya need to improve.  Simple.

--------------
"Things turn out best for those who make the best
 of the way things turned out."    Jack Buck
31 replies since Dec. 15 2012,9:13 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 41234>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Mpls schools
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code
Emoticon Emoticon Emoticon Emoticon Emoticon Emoticon Emoticon Emoticon Emoticon Emoticon Emoticon