[ Log In :: Register ]

1 members are viewing this topic
>Guest

Page 1 of 712345>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Free Cell Phones, For Low-Income People< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Botto 82 Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 25 2012,10:51 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Program offers free cell phones
Published 9:45am Monday, June 25, 2012

At an upcoming event, people who are on federal or state assistance may be eligible to receive a cellphone free of charge.

Angela Enderson, advocacy coordinator for Senior Resources of Freeborn County, said the program is meant to help those people who are on assistance to be able to have a cellphone.

“The program is to get phones into the hands of people who don’t have one,” Enderson said.

If people receive food stamps, Temporary Assistance to Needy Families, Supplemental Security Income or qualify for free or reduced lunches, disability payments, Medicaid or have a household income at or below the federal poverty level, they would be eligible to receive a free cellphone. The program is for anyone of any age, but cellphones are limited to one per household. The cellphone would come with 250 free minutes each month.

A special event is set up for July 9 from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. at the Salvation Army at 302 Court St. for people to receive a cellphone. People who think they qualify must bring a photo ID and the last four digits of their Social Security number, proof of current address like a utility bill and proof of the type of assistance they receive.

Enderson said the program is sponsored by the Federal Communications Commission and people can call 651-270-6564 or email billtreague40@gmail.com for more information. She said the program will help those who don’t have much expendable income to have a cell phone, something many people consider a necessity.

“It gives them the convenience and peace of mind benefits the rest of us have from having a cellphone,” Enderson said.

FishWrap Article

Thoughts?

--------------
Dear future generations: Please accept our apologies. We were rolling drunk on petroleum.

- Kurt Vonnegut
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Twiggs50 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 25 2012,11:03 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My thoughts:
Why are people who are already getting everything handed to them now getting free cell phones and monthly minutes? I can't afford to have a cell phone, I have to "settle" for a land-line. And because my husband works and makes just enough for us to get by, but too much for us to get any help, we are punished. I guess I should have had about 10 kids in order to get any help, but of course, we were responsible and quit at 3 and have to make it on our own. We have never gotten any help in all the years we've been married, we both worked, and have helped our children even after they left home.

Now I don't work, my husband makes little or nothing after 40+ years at the same place, and still we can't get any help. Where is the justice? Where is the fairness of this?

I guess he should quit work and we'll go on assistance because you seem to be able to get by a lot better doing that than actually working and trying to make something of yourself.

Bitter, you bet!! I'm tired of watching everyone get help, but no one helps us.
 Post Number: 3
bulldog Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 25 2012,11:16 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

wow what a joke, yes it pays to be lazy and worthless
what a country we live in  :finger:

--------------
none
 Post Number: 4
Common Citizen Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 25 2012,11:38 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Some how the thread's topic will end up being the fault of big corporations, George W. Bush, and the GOP supported by dillusional graphs from alcitizen.    :p
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 25 2012,11:43 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

All this, but we can't do free healthcare like in Britain or France.  :p

--------------
Dear future generations: Please accept our apologies. We were rolling drunk on petroleum.

- Kurt Vonnegut
 Post Number: 6
Self-Banished Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 25 2012,11:44 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

So what happens if they go over the 250'min.??

--------------
:D Remember boys and girls,

Don’t be a Dick :D

Or a “Wayne” :oops:
 Post Number: 7
Self-Banished Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 25 2012,11:47 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Botto 82 @ Jun. 25 2012,11:43 am)

Nothing's free, someone has to pay for it. But apperently you haven't figured that one out yet.

--------------
:D Remember boys and girls,

Don’t be a Dick :D

Or a “Wayne” :oops:
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 25 2012,12:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Self-Banished @ Jun. 25 2012,11:47 am)

Nothing's free, someone has to pay for it. But apperently you haven't figured that one out yet.

That said, what about a 1 1/2 hour ER visit, with a 10-minute doctor consult, should imply a $994.00 price tag?

Nobody should be in debt for the rest of their life just because they get sick. THAT's the frakked-up aspect of American healthcare I meant to address.

--------------

- Kurt Vonnegut
 Post Number: 9
alcitizens Search for posts by this member.
Albert Lea

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 25 2012,12:15 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Consumer Cellular offers a $35.00 basic phone to anyone.. Free shipping and activation..

$15.00 for 100 minutes/month

http://www.consumercellular.com/Info/ComparisonChart/385

Attached Image
Attached Image
 Post Number: 10
Common Citizen Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 25 2012,12:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Botto 82 @ Jun. 25 2012,12:01 pm)

(Self-Banished @ Jun. 25 2012,11:47 am)

That said, what about a 1 1/2 hour ER visit, with a 10-minute doctor consult, should imply a $994.00 price tag?

Nobody should be in debt for the rest of their life just because they get sick. THAT's the frakked-up aspect of American healthcare I meant to address.

There is the alternative...
61 replies since Jun. 25 2012,10:51 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 712345>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Free Cell Phones
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code
Emoticon Emoticon Emoticon Emoticon Emoticon Emoticon Emoticon Emoticon Emoticon Emoticon Emoticon