Search Members Help

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

1 members are viewing this topic
>Guest

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: DO NOT SIGN THIS LETTER., Letter to change the Mayor term 2 years.< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Boomerrang Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 25 2011,7:49 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The five WISEMAN are trying to push for change. The project is headed up by the famous EX-Mayor Erdman. DO NOT SIGN.

Mayoral petition now circulating
Published 1:40pm Thursday, August 25, 2011 Albert Lea Tribune.

.The petition seeking to extend Albert Lea’s mayoral terms from two years to four years began circulating Thursday after some final revisions.

Petitioners have until May to gather signatures from at least 5 percent of the registered Albert Lea voters during the last state election who are in favor of amending the City Charter to allow four-year terms for mayors.

People who sign the petition must be registered voters in the city with a valid address and phone number.

If enough signatures are gathered, the charter amendment will be brought before all voters during the general election in November 2012.

If the issue passes, the change would go into effect for mayors elected after Nov. 1, 2014.

The following five people have been listed as circulators of the petition: Neil Lang, Randy Erdman, Anthony Trow, Tom Staker and George Marin.

Trow said the petitioners will find a way to get the word out to as many people as possible and may attend events like the farmers market and other venues to seek signatures.

He noted getting out in the community will give the promoters a chance to “test the waters” and see what kind of support they have for the change.

They plan to obtain more than the necessary signatures in case there are any problems with the verifications of the people who sign.

Proponents of the amendment say the change would remove the distraction of too frequent of re-election campaigns and provide greater continuity for the Albert Lea City Council and effective leadership for the community.

“All of the other communities around us of similar size have already gone to a four-year term,” Trow said.

:rockon: Opponents say it would take away the more frequent opportunity of the people to vote for change if they don’t like the direction the city is moving.     :clap:
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
ControlledHyperness Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 25 2011,9:03 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'd sure like to know what cities around us a) are our size, and b) are our size with four year terms. I may be mistaken, but I think both Austin and Owatonna run 2 year terms still..oh wait! They are both BIGGER than us. Clarks Grove runs 4 year terms I think...oops! My bad..they are SMALLER than us. That would leave Blue Earth or Waseca..Waseca is close to our size I think...and I am not sure what they do with their City Council...and same goes for Blue Earth. In either case I think they are stretching it a bit....

Oh..and yes...I am AGAINST four year terms at this point...

--------------
I once had a thought...then it ran off before I could remember what it was...
 Post Number: 3
HiggsBoson Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 27 2011,10:19 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Who is pushing this petition?

Erdman, the ex-mayor who was so arrogant that he didn't bother campaigning much because he thought he was going to be handed another term.

Lang, Erdman's father-in-law with anger management issues.

Staker and Trow, representatives of Destination Albert Lea and Park Avenue mafia.

Marin, the former councilman preacher.

Yep, they represent the people of Albert Lea and don't have any axes to grind.
 Post Number: 4
Alfy Packer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 31 2011,4:33 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I never understood the issue, but now that I can see those behind pushing this petition, it all makes perfect Non-sense.  By agreeing to this an elected mayor wouldn't have to perform on promises made as he ran to be elected, and if he or she turned out to be as flaky as Erdman and Eaton before him, the electorate would have little they could do but put up with the foolishness.
Any of you remember the phony Albert Lea Listens, designed to make it look like we the people came up with the ideas that Erdaman and supporters wanted so that it could latter be stated that he was acting on a mandate from the people.  If you liked that you should sign up for this, you'll get a lot more of the same.
I say leave well enough alone!
 Post Number: 5
Boomerrang Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 01 2011,6:02 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Looks like this group is going to target the weak. Try and sweet talk them into signing there name for change. Who in there right mind would sign this form???
 Post Number: 6
Liberal Search for posts by this member.

Group: Moderator
PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 01 2011,7:48 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I think it's just more Rochester envy, some people in this town think that geese and 4 year mayoral terms will make us more like Rochester, and then we'll start growing like Rochester.

--------------
The people are masters of both Congress and courts, not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow the men who pervert it!
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 7
hymiebravo Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 02 2011,7:58 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Trow said the petitioners will find a way to get the word out to as many people as possible and may attend events like the farmers market and other venues to seek signatures.

Way to sully something nice like the farmers market.

They would do the city a lot more good if they went around picking up all the trash/garbage/litter/debris around the lakes. IMO

Obviously they have a lot of spare time.
 Post Number: 8
hymiebravo Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 02 2011,8:16 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Liberal @ Sep. 01 2011,7:48 pm)
I think it's just more Rochester envy, some people in this town think that geese and 4 year mayoral terms will make us more like Rochester, and then we'll start growing like Rochester.

Being that Albert Lea is such a "backwater" area. They would be better off looking at Northern Minnesota as something to try and be like.  

Although a lot of the nice looking vistas/scenery have been destroyed.

Trying to make it look like things have grown by spreading poorly planned sprawl, just creates more of a mess overall. IMO
7 replies since Aug. 25 2011,7:49 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply DO NOT SIGN THIS LETTER.
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code
Emoticon Emoticon Emoticon Emoticon Emoticon Emoticon Emoticon Emoticon Emoticon Emoticon Emoticon