Search Members Help

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

1 members are viewing this topic
>Guest

Page 1 of 712345>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Republicans Eating Their Own :), Debt Ceiling to be Raised without Cuts< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
alcitizens Search for posts by this member.
Albert Lea

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 13 2011,9:10 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Visit msnbc.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
MADDOG Search for posts by this member.

Group: Moderator
PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 13 2011,4:03 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

<script type="text/javascript" src="http://video.foxnews.com/v/embed.js?id=1052344253001&w=466&h=263">

http://video.foxnews.com/v...-crisis

--------------
Actually my wife is especially happy when my google check arrives each month. Thanks to douchbags like you, I get paid just for getting you worked up.  -Liberal
 Post Number: 3
OEF_Soldier Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 13 2011,4:49 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

So on one side you have the mouthpiece of the Democrats and Liberals (MSNBC) saying that the Prez is winning this battle and on the other hand you have the mouthpiece of the Republicans saying that they are going to keep on keeping on.

The funny thing about this entire mess is that both party's are playing political games with this debt ceiling battle. The Democratic majority failed to pass a budget prior to the elections in November and now this country has basically been playing with the checkbook but not keeping it up to date.

“The fact that we are here today to debate raising America's debt limit is a sign of leadership failure,” he said on March 16, 2006. “Leadership means that ‘the buck stops here.’ Instead, Washington is shifting the burden of bad choices today onto the backs of our children and grandchildren. America has a debt problem and a failure of leadership . Americans deserve better. I therefore intend to oppose the effort to increase America's debt limit.”

Care to guess who is quoted above?

Attached Image
Attached Image

--------------
I've upped my standards so....UP YOURS !!!

My deepest feeling about politicians is that they are dangerous lunatics to be avoided when possible and carefully humored; people, above all, to whom one must never tell the truth. (W. H. Auden)
 Post Number: 4
Stone-Magnon Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 13 2011,5:09 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

How about the good banks of the area setting up a fund to loan to Social Security folks if their checks stop?

--------------
...everybody must get stoned

-Bob Dylan
 Post Number: 5
MADDOG Search for posts by this member.

Group: Moderator
PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 13 2011,5:11 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Uh, let me guess.  The Golfer in Chief?

--------------
Actually my wife is especially happy when my google check arrives each month. Thanks to douchbags like you, I get paid just for getting you worked up.  -Liberal
 Post Number: 6
Albert Lea

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 13 2011,5:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(May 31,2011) Republican Ways and Means Committee Chairman Dave Camp urged members of his party to vote "no" on the bill, and they all did. "Today we are making clear that Republicans will not accept an increase in our nation's debt limit without substantial spending cuts and real budgetary reforms," he said.

http://www.voanews.com/english...89.html

Sounds like Republicans were holding the future of the United States hostage..  :dunce:
 Post Number: 7
OEF_Soldier Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 13 2011,8:53 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(alcitizens @ Jul. 13 2011,5:18 pm)
Sounds like Republicans were holding the future of the United States hostage..  :dunce:

So if the Dems HAD passed a budget BEFORE the beginning of the fiscal year (you know by the end of LAST September) do you think this would even be going on?

Yes the Republicans are also playing their political game but in the end the Dems had a MAJORITY in both the House and Senate and could have gotten a budget done that would have been to their advantage but they failed to do so. To busy rather then doing what they should have been doing.

Oh and Mad Mutt you are indeed correct it was the golfer in chief.

Attached Image
Attached Image

--------------
I've upped my standards so....UP YOURS !!!

My deepest feeling about politicians is that they are dangerous lunatics to be avoided when possible and carefully humored; people, above all, to whom one must never tell the truth. (W. H. Auden)
 Post Number: 8
Common Citizen Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 13 2011,9:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Obama abruptly walks out of a heated debt limit meeting today.  I heard he was looking for his blanky and corner to pout in.   :O
 Post Number: 9
Albert Lea

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 13 2011,9:44 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(OEF_Soldier @ Jul. 13 2011,8:53 pm)
So if the Dems HAD passed a budget

This has nothing and I mean NOTHING to do with budget negotiations.. This is about raising the debt limit, ONLY.. Raise the debt limit or go into a Depression..

The World Currency is the US Dollar.. Think about it..
 Post Number: 10
Grinning_Dragon Search for posts by this member.
rideo draconigena

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 13 2011,10:43 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

The debt limit absolutely has everything to do with budgets.  It is past budgets the requires the limit to be raised when TOO much money is being spent vs incoming revenue.

Democrats dragged their feet in the quagmire and never passed a budget, and now they are whining.

While it is true Congress has never before refused to raise the debt ceiling, it has frequently taken its sweet time to do so. In 1985, Congress waited nearly three months after the debt limit was reached before authorizing a permanent increase. In 1995, 4 1/2 months passed between hitting the ceiling and congressional action. And in 2002, Congress delayed raising the debt ceiling for three months. In each case, the U.S. and the economy survived.

If Congress refuses to raise the debt ceiling, the federal government will still have more than enough money to fully service our debt. Next year, about 7 percent of all projected federal government expenditures will go to interest on our debt. Tax revenue is projected to cover at least 70 percent of all government expenditures. So, under any circumstances, there will be plenty of money to pay our creditors.

Moreover, as the Congressional Research Service has noted, the Treasury secretary himself has the discretion to decide which bills to pay first in the event that a cash flow shortage occurs. Thus, it is he who would have to consciously, and needlessly, choose to default on our debt if the debt ceiling is not promptly raised upon reaching it. It takes a lot of chutzpah to preemptively blame congressional Republicans for a default only he could cause.

Federal revenues will reach $2.17 trillion this fiscal year. Interest payments on the nation’s debt are estimated to be $205 billion this year, or about 10 percent of revenues. Taking that payment off the top, as Mr. Toomey’s plan would, leaves $1.9 trillion for Congress to spend.
Sen. Toomey (along with Senator David Vitter) proposed the Full Faith and Credit Act, which would require Treasury to prioritize the payment of interest to America’s creditors — a demonstration of seriousness that we will not default.

That’s enough to pay for Social Security ($741 billion), Medicare ($488 billion), and Medicaid ($276 billion), with $395 billion left for other programs.

There is not enough money to pay for the Leviathan the obama Left insists we must have (and to which we have been led by the years of out-of-control spending by both parties that President Obama has wildly intensified). This impasse will saddle us with another $1.7 trillion deficit for this year … adding to the already accumulated trillions of debt

--------------
*SIC SEMPER TYRANNIS / MOLON LABE / Se Defendendo
memoria of cado frater ,Semper fidelis
*The object of war is NOT to DIE for YOUR Country, but to make the OTHER BASTARD DIE for HIS...Patton
My Constitutional Rights trump your dead.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
64 replies since Jul. 13 2011,9:10 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 712345>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Republicans Eating Their Own :)
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code
Emoticon Emoticon Emoticon Emoticon Emoticon Emoticon Emoticon Emoticon Emoticon Emoticon Emoticon