» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

1 members are viewing this topic
>Guest

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: New Boating Laws in Effect, What new law< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Stone-Magnon Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 04 2011,3:53 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

New Boating Laws in Effect

(ABC 6 NEWS) -- The 4th of July weekend is often a time to head out to the lake and have some fun.

But it's also a time where one can knowingly or unknowingly have too much fun.

The state of Iowa recently changed a drinking law just in time for this weekend.

Enjoying an adult beverage while boating is a common site on the waters, but the state of Iowa recently changed its boating while drinking law in order to help people become more aware and more responsible.

"There was a point where you could test between .08 and .10 blood alcohol concentration (BAC) and they would be released from the water and then go drive after taking your boat out of the water and be illegal on the roadways and OK when you're out here on the waters," says Iowa Conservation Officer, Ben Bergman.

Bergman says people sometimes lose sight of the fact that steering a boat and driving a car present different challenges.

"There's a lot of stressors that are taking place: the motor vibration, the waves, the wind, and the sun glare. Those are things that have an affect on your body already and then you add in alcohol and that's a bad combination," says Bergman.

The state hopes that the law will result in fewer accidents and keep boaters safer.

And most people we talked to agreed.

"I think that's great. I have noticed while we've been boating that the drinking has cut back quite a bit," says Becky Beenken, of Titonka.

Chuck Franken, of Waverly says, "It's probably going to keep people on their toes a little bit more and it should, because we're all out trying to be safe and taking care of our families. So, when it comes right down to it I think it's a good deal for everybody."

Bergman says the new law is just a part of what boaters should be concerned about when heading out to the lake.

"By having everything, the equipment inside the boat, whether that be life jackets, wearable or throwable, fire extinguishers, whistles, making sure your equipment works because that's how you start off boating right there. By having everything up to date, up to snuff and then you start your day out right," says Bergman.

In 2010, the state of Iowa reported 35 boating while intoxicated arrests.

Three of the five boating fatalities involved alcohol and 10 of 54 accidents reported involved alcohol.

Does anybody see in the article what the new laws are?

--------------
...everybody must get stoned

-Bob Dylan
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Mamma Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 04 2011,6:52 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Right! I just kept reading expecting them to tell me the new law and it never happened!

--------------
A conclusion is simply the place where you got tired of thinking.
 Post Number: 3
Stone-Magnon Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 04 2011,7:21 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

But it's also a time where one can knowingly or unknowingly have too much fun.

I think they'd like to see the person arrested for unknowingly "having too much fun". It's always more fun to arrest people when they're confused about the law. People shouldn't be having any fun anyway, this is Minnesota.

--------------
...everybody must get stoned

-Bob Dylan
 Post Number: 4
ControlledHyperness Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 04 2011,7:21 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Mamma @ Jul. 04 2011,6:52 am)
Right! I just kept reading expecting them to tell me the new law and it never happened!

No offence, but this IS Iowa we are talking about. They probably forgot...or lost it in transit...

:rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:

--------------
I once had a thought...then it ran off before I could remember what it was...
 Post Number: 5
hymiebravo Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 07 2011,8:25 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I would take that to mean that the same law that applies to  operating cars applies to operating boats now as well.

Boaters, prior to this, must been subject to the "old" operating a car limit.
 Post Number: 6
hymiebravo Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 07 2011,8:27 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Now they're both in the same boat, it sounds like.
 Post Number: 7
White Pride Search for posts by this member.
weißer Stolz

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 09 2011,10:47 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(ControlledHyperness @ Jul. 04 2011,7:21 pm)

(Mamma @ Jul. 04 2011,6:52 am)

No offence, but this IS Iowa we are talking about. They probably forgot...or lost it in transit...

:rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:

SQUIRREL!!!!

--------------
Dr. Pride here

I'm an ENGLISH speaking white GERMAN-AMERICAN, and DAMN PROUD OF IT!

What bothers people more... the fact others disagree w/them, or that the others just might be right after all?

If you're being stupid, acting stupid, or just plain stupid, I will not hesitate to let u know!
6 replies since Jul. 04 2011,3:53 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply New Boating Laws in Effect
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code
Emoticon Emoticon Emoticon Emoticon Emoticon Emoticon Emoticon Emoticon Emoticon Emoticon Emoticon