Search Members Help

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

1 members are viewing this topic
>Guest

Page 1 of 3123>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Better start this here instead, for Alfy Packer so not to confuse< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
bianca Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 11 2010,9:56 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Here is the letter Tim Engstrom let me get through to the public.

Mayoral candidates:

Could you tell our citizens/taxpayers how you feel about Ellen Kehr’s SHIP coordinator paid county job and being a city councilwoman? Do you feel that there is a conflict of interest or not?

Even though the Tribune is a member of the Albert Lea-Freeborn County Chamber of Commerce, I was wanting more answers from the Tribune on this issue. Where is this money?

The SHIP grant is $190,000; if you go to www.healthyfreeborncounty.org, only $8,300 has been spelled out.

In the near future, another mayoral forum will be held, but the chamber decides what questions are worthy. Somehow, I don’t think it was wrong to ask at the last forum whether or not the executive director, Randy Kehr, and his wife’s numerous positions are conflicts of interest. Hopefully, the editor will allow the question here.

Is this right? What will you, if anything, do about it if elected as mayor? In Mr. Mike Murtaugh’s case, why wasn’t anything done?

Points to ponder for the citizens, taxpayers and mayoral candidates:

• The city statute statement that was used as a reason for Kehr to keep her position as a city councilwoman and/or SHIP coordinator for the county was written and hasn’t been amended since 1979. It mentions nothing about county jobs or county positions.

• Both Randy Kehr and Lois Ahern (who hired the unqualified Kehr being paid $22 per hour due to who she knows rather than interviewing anyone else for the position) are both on the Vitality Team, which can also apply for grants in which Ellen Kehr decides on.

• Ellen Kehr is the wife of the executive director of the Chamber of Commerce. Ms. Kehr is president of ALEDA and the Port Authority, which Dan Dorman proclaims that these two are not the same entity. There needs to be more transparency about these roles.

Tonya Lynch

Albert Lea

It didn't strike me as shocking that Randy Kehr would speak up for his unqualified wife because he is afterall, as indicated in another thread, doing his wife's work for her and she's getting the paycheck.

Randy Kehr- (comment section)

I thought that the community deserves a response to some of the issues raised here.

The Chamber does sponsor various forums for political races as a service to the community just as we sponsor the 3rd of July Parade, the 4th of July Fireworks, the 3rd Grade Farm Tours and the Farm Family of the Year. Community members who attended or watched the recent forum for the Sheriff’s candidates saw that I was seated in the middle of the candidates and far removed from the moderator. Every question from the audience was given to the moderator. The moderator (and all moderators over the years) have had the right to combine similar questions. For the last 10 years, however, the moderators have been told that they do not have to ask questions of a personal nature nor one that they deem offensive.  :laugh: I do not know if this particular question was asked since I never saw them but I do know that we ran out of time with many questions going unasked.

I do serve on the Board of Directors of the National Vitality Center but neither Lois Ahern or Ellen are on that Board.
LIES!:nonono:

[B]Vitality Team 2010

• AL School District – Chris Chalmers
• City of AL - Victoria Simonsen, Bob
Graham
• CVB – Susie Peterson
• Chamber of Commerce – Randy Kehr
• ALMC – Patti Hareid
• Freeborn County Public Health – Lois Ahern

As Lois leads Public Health in Freeborn County she often attends to offer her insight and Ellen attends as the SHIP representative. Neither of them have a vote. The Vitality Center posts a newsletter on its website and the community is encouraged to go there to see what’s happening with this important project. Just visit healthyfreeborncounty.org and click on the Vitality Center.

The organizations that Ellen and I belong to definitely share a common mission.(safe wording, I would call it "conflicts of interest":nonono:)That mission is to work for a better quality of life for the citizens of Albert Lea and Freeborn County. I am proud to be part of trying to make this a better place to live and work.

...and here I thought that Vern and Mike were running for Mayor :;): Still wondering WHY Randy Kehr is doing Ellen Kehr's work and she's getting paid almost $25/hr for :frusty:

Employer Initiative
507-373-3938,

Tobacco Free Worksites
Randy Kehr 507-373-3938,
alfccoc@albertlea.org

**I tried to comment right away to the comment section of the paper but apparently an administrator has to "grant" you priveleges before you can post**
...and here's another thing: people always talk about repercussions in their work place by using their name. Not only does the Trib now ask for names they also ask for your occupation in order for you to comment. :dunce:  :frusty: I can definitely see why their traffic would go so far down.

Has anyone else noticed how many times Randy Kehr has commented since the get-go? I'm thinkin' maybe he was one of them that wanted this done and Shmeltzer obliged as this is his chamber "bud". I mean...afterall, why would I be surprised :dunno: as shown numerous times, it's Randy Kehr that sits on every board in this town, as leader. :;):  :laugh:

--------------
I believe in the patriotism and energy and initiative of the average man. Woodrow Wilson

Early in life, I had to choose between honest arrogance and hypocritical humility. — Frank Lloyd Wright (1868-1959)
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Alfy Packer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 12 2010,8:44 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The Chamber ex is not appointed by the Mayor!  Lois Ahern is not a city employee and does not report to the Mayor!  Shmeltzer may be on the Chamber Board, but the Mayor does not put him on that board!  Patti Hareid does not report to the Mayor!  Susie Peterson & Chris Chalmers are not going to be influenced by what the mayoral candidates think.  Victoria is gone and Bob Graham isn't comanding enough to swing the group even if he could be influenced by what the candidates thought.  So what is the point of hanging the candidate out on this point?  Why don't you ask questions about thiings they can effect.  City taxes, city services, and city staffing.  Let the county stew in the SHIP mess where it belongs.
 Post Number: 3
Robert Hoffman Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 12 2010,8:53 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Alfy Packer @ Aug. 12 2010,8:44 am)
The Chamber ex is not appointed by the Mayor!  Lois Ahern is not a city employee and does not report to the Mayor!  Shmeltzer may be on the Chamber Board, but the Mayor does not put him on that board!  Patti Hareid does not report to the Mayor!  Susie Peterson & Chris Chalmers are not going to be influenced by what the mayoral candidates think.  Victoria is gone and Bob Graham isn't comanding enough to swing the group even if he could be influenced by what the candidates thought.  So what is the point of hanging the candidate out on this point?  Why don't you ask questions about thiings they can effect.  City taxes, city services, and city staffing.  Let the county stew in the SHIP mess where it belongs.

:clap:

--------------
A guy is in a hole & is yelling for "help!" A doctor walks by & writes a prescription. A preist walks by & says a prayer. Then a FRIEND jumps in the hole with him & the guy yells at his friend "You're down here with me now!" The friend says "SURE, but Ive been down before and I know the ways out!"
 Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 12 2010,10:48 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The mayor has the responsibility of representing not only the people who elected them, but all citizens. Mayors also serve as a resource to the residents of their district, making sure they receive quality services and helping them to solve problems.

Whether working with a town council, city commission, board of commissioners or other city-level entities.

Alfy Packer- Apparently you are missing the whole point. Who said anything about any of those people being directed by the Mayor?

My problem, as is many many others, is that there are conflicts of interest ALL over the place. Let's not forget that Ellen Kehr sits on the City Council. Hmmmm.

The statute that was written needs to be changed, it was last written/ammended in 1979. Who do you think does that? How can there be a conflict of interest if there is NOTHING written about county jobs and city council and/or city jobs and the county commissioner?

I simply want an answer concerning those questions and as a mayoral candidate they should expect to answer questions such as these. :dunno:

Who runs our city?

Robert Hoffman-

Aren't you also on some committee on the Chamber? Hmmmm...

--------------
I believe in the patriotism and energy and initiative of the average man. Woodrow Wilson

Early in life, I had to choose between honest arrogance and hypocritical humility. — Frank Lloyd Wright (1868-1959)
 Post Number: 5
Alfy Packer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 12 2010,11:29 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

So what do you want your next mayor to do.  Perhaps he could bring some cheese to go along with all this wine.
 Post Number: 6
Gamer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 12 2010,11:34 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The statute that was written needs to be changed, it was last written/ammended in 1979. Who do you think does that? How can there be a conflict of interest if there is NOTHING written about county jobs and city council and/or city jobs and the county commissioner?

I may be a little behind, but what statute are you referring to? And if it is really a statute and not an ordinance, then the mayor/council can't change it, because it is set by the state legislature.

Please be patient with me, I've tried reading through the old posts, and I just can't seem to find what you're talking about.
 Post Number: 7
Gamer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 12 2010,11:40 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Also, not that I'm disagreeing with you about the conflict of interests. I'm just not sure what the mayor can do seeing as the SHIP position is a county position and Kehr is an elected official for the City.

There is a way of getting her canned from the Council - it's called an ELECTION. Vote her out when her term is up! (I can't since I'm not in her ward, but I hope the people who are get rid of her).
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 12 2010,11:41 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Section 2.06. - Incompatible city offices.

An elected officer of the city may not (i) be appointed city manager; (ii) hold another city office or be employed by the city in any capacity for pay; or (iii) hold a city office or be employed by the city for a period of one year after expiration of the officer's term of office.

It's actually an ordinance :blush: I stand corrected, not a statute and therefore can be ammended and/or changed through none other than the city council and mayor.

Section 3.10. - Amendment and repeal of ordinances and resolutions.

An ordinance or resolution repealing (i) a prior ordinance or resolution, or (ii) a section, subdivision or separately identified clause thereof must state the number or, if no number has been assigned, the title of the ordinance or resolution to be repealed in whole or in part. An ordinance or resolution, or a section, subdivision or clause thereof, may not be amended by reference to the title only. The amending ordinance or resolution must set forth in full each section, subdivision or clause to be amended and indicate new matter by underscoring matter to be omitted by striking out or by other appropriate symbols.

Section 3.08. - Signing and publication of ordinances and resolutions.

Ordinances and resolutions must be signed by the mayor or two council members, attested by the clerk and filed and preserved by the clerk. An ordinance must be published once in the official newspaper. A summary of an ordinance may be published in the manner provided by law. Resolutions must be signed by the mayor or two council members, attested by the clerk and filed and preserved by the clerk. Resolutions need not be published.

The mayor does/can have a role in this change and this should IMO change to include the county. That's what I want from our mayor and/or the council. :thumbsup:

--------------

Post Number: 9
Robert Hoffman Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 12 2010,11:51 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(bianca @ Aug. 12 2010,10:48 am)
Who runs our city?

Robert Hoffman

:oops:  ...sorry-had to! (a lil' out of context but was funny!)

I am very proud to have been a Chamber Ambassador since 2005 and a Planning Commissioner for two terms now. Each can be time consuming and are strictly volunteer.

In the last few years I was also a graduate of the first LEADERSHIP program, the Citizens Ploice Academy and recently graduated from NIACC's Pappajohn Entrepreneurial Centers FAST TRAC Program for business start ups.

...how do you give back to your community-where do you volunteer your time-what professional and civic classes are you taking?

PS I work a full time Property Management job managing 65 rental units and own my own Inspections Company and have still found time to be on strong volunteer boards and continue to take professional and civic classes so don't tell me your paper route takes up too much of your time. (Just givin ya sxxt Tonya.  :blush: )

You're good at making noise-you've just got to work on getting people to want to listen to ya.

Take care B.

-Hoffer

--------------
A guy is in a hole & is yelling for "help!" A doctor walks by & writes a prescription. A preist walks by & says a prayer. Then a FRIEND jumps in the hole with him & the guy yells at his friend "You're down here with me now!" The friend says "SURE, but Ive been down before and I know the ways out!"
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 12 2010,12:07 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

:clap: Excellent response "hoffer" This isn't supposed to be a "personal" attack on anyone. But I'm glad you could site your credentials for any employer looking :;): Just toyin' with you.

You didn't leave a response so I simply asked the question of whether or not you were part of the Chamber which IMO could lead you to a biased opinion. I wasn't expecting your resume  :blush:  but I'm glad you are proud of it as I am of mine. Let me assure you that I probably have more civics education than you assume, and have served on the Governors council, but this is irrelevant to the discussion.

Don't forget these are just MY opinions, feel free to have your own. :thumbsup:

--------------

20 replies since Aug. 11 2010,9:56 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 3123>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Better start this here instead
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code
Emoticon Emoticon Emoticon Emoticon Emoticon Emoticon Emoticon Emoticon Emoticon Emoticon Emoticon