Search Members Help

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

1 members are viewing this topic
>Guest

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: New Jailbreak for Iphones/Ipods including MC Ipod, Now that it's legal and all.< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Liberal Search for posts by this member.

Group: Moderator
PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 01 2010,6:13 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

If you are looking for a way to jailbreak your Ipod or Iphone just point the devices browser to http://jailbreakme.com

If you're wondering if it's legal...

Apple has issued an official response to yesterday’s Library of Congress Copyright Office ruling that jailbreaking a smartphone did not constitute a copyright violation, and instead fell under fair use. “Apple’s goal has always been to insure that our customers have a great experience with their iPhone and we know that jailbreaking can severely degrade the experience,” an Apple spokesperson told Cult of Mac. “As we’ve said before, the vast majority of customers do not jailbreak their iPhones as this can violate the warranty and can cause the iPhone to become unstable and not work reliably.” Apple had in the past argued that jailbreaking was illegal—in that it constituted copyright infringement and a DMCA violation—and that it could enable “potentially catastrophic” network attacks.

http://www.ilounge.com/index.p...-ruling

--------------
The people are masters of both Congress and courts, not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow the men who pervert it!
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 2

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 06 2010,3:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

JailbreakMe makes the process of jailbreaking the Apple iPhone much simpler and less intimidating. Just visit a Web site on the iPhone, and voila! Jailbroken iPhone. Think about that for a minute, though. The simple act of visiting a Web site is able to fundamentally alter the core functionality of iOS.

Since the dawn of the iPhone, hackers have developed various tools and processes to enable users to circumvent the controls and restrictions put in place by Apple. In the wake of the United States Copyright Office ruling that jailbreaking the iPhone is technically legal--at least from a copyright and DMCA (Digital Millennium Copyright Act) perspective--having a tool that can accomplish it simply by visiting a Web site is awesome for less technically savvy iPhone owners.

However, if JailbreakMe is capable of unlocking the iPhone operating system by taking advantage of a flaw in the way the iPhone renders Adobe PDF files, then other applications can also exploit that same flaw for less-benevolent goals. What JailbreakMe illustrates is that the iPhone has a serious security issue that Apple needs to address.

For companies that allow the iPhone to connect with network resources, or that have embraced the iPhone as the business smartphone of choice, both the JailbreakMe tool itself, as well as any other malicious attacks that might circumvent iOS controls using the same method represent a security concern.

IT admins can use a tool like MAD (Mobile Active Defense) for the iPhone to monitor and enforce security policy on iPhones. Winn Schwartau, chairman of M.A.D. Partners, LLC--developers of Mobile Active Defense--explains that, with jailbreaking, "iPhone users can now download apps from anywhere they choose, not just the iTunes store. This signifies a far greater risk to companies who are trying to leverage the unique capabilities of the Apple platform. But, Mobile Active Defense provides a strong, workable and automatic solution that solves the jailbreaking problem on corporate networks."

Companies have compliance mandates such as HIPAA (Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act), GLBA (Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act), and PCI-DSS (Payment Card Industry Data Security Standard) to follow, and the requirements dictate that IT admins must have control over the devices that connect to the network or process company data and communications. A jailbroken iPhone can interfere with the ability to do that.

Schwartau says that the MAD Mobile Enterprise Compliance and Security (MECS) server "can detect jailbreaking within one minute. That's pretty cool. Once this clear violation of security policy is discovered, the MECS managed firewall issues immediate remediation options to the administrator."

Detecting jailbreaking could mean intentional jailbreaking from a user trying to implement the JailbreakMe tool on an iPhone, or unintentional jailbreaking from a malicious attack exploiting similar means to take control of the iPhone. Either way--legal or not--IT admins need tools in place that help to monitor and enforce security policy on the iPhone and prevent users from jailbreaking the device.

http://www.pcworld.com/busines...=hp_blg

--------------
The people are masters of both Congress and courts, not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow the men who pervert it!
 Post Number: 3
ICU812 Search for posts by this member.

Group: Super Administrators
PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 27 2010,11:18 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Not much into jailbreaking yet. But yesterday I downloaded Netflix for the iPhone......pretty sweet.
 Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 01 2010,1:36 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'll have to try that. I bought the $50 composite cable for the Ipod and a 2 watt miniature overhead projector from Radio Shack for $65. The youngest one watches movies on her ceiling with it, but I've yet to try it out.

I just got an HTC HD2 Last Tuesday and I think I set a personal record on voiding a warranty. On Wednesday I had flashed a new BIOS, a different Windows Mobile package, a beta Android OS, and a new splash screen that has my address and a picture of me with a message that says not to buy the phone if someone other than the guy in the picture tries to sell it to you, or if you find it I will pay a reward if you return it me.

It's a nice phone, but it's huge, and I feel like I'm talking into an old Palm III when I use it. Also the 1ghz processor gets pretty warm, and I have to charge it every night if I expect to use it for anything other than a phone the next day.

--------------
 Post Number: 5
Grinning_Dragon Search for posts by this member.
rideo draconigena

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 01 2010,1:55 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Why anyone would think jailbreaking a device you bought and own would be illegal. :dunno:

Why would you care what the developer thinks anyways,  :finger: em.

--------------
*SIC SEMPER TYRANNIS / MOLON LABE / Se Defendendo
memoria of cado frater ,Semper fidelis
*The object of war is NOT to DIE for YOUR Country, but to make the OTHER BASTARD DIE for HIS...Patton
My Constitutional Rights trump your dead.
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 01 2010,2:44 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

I agree 100%, I don't know how they could have believed it to be copyright infringement. That's like saying if you bought a computer with Windows, you couldn't install Linux without violating Microsoft's copyright. :crazy:

--------------
5 replies since Aug. 01 2010,6:13 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply New Jailbreak for Iphones/Ipods including MC Ipod
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code
Emoticon Emoticon Emoticon Emoticon Emoticon Emoticon Emoticon Emoticon Emoticon Emoticon Emoticon