Poll choices Votes Statistics
1. YES 8  [28.57%]
2. NO 10  [35.71%]
3. Semi-Pro ( Different Country.) 10  [35.71%]
Guests cannot vote
Page 1 of 41234>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: BEN WOODSIDE. ( NDSU basketball player.), Will Ben get a Pro or Semi-Pro contract< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Joe The Plumber Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 12 2009,2:36 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Woodside’s shot leads Bison to NCAA tourney
Published Wednesday, March 11, 2009

SIOUX FALLS, S.D. (AP) — North Dakota State went to its "Woodside offense" and came away with an NCAA tournament berth by downing Oakland University for the Summit League championship Tuesday.

Woodside's 17-foot jumper from the top of the key with 3 seconds left gave the Bison a 66-64 victory and kept their season alive in the first year of Division I eligibility.

No. 1 seed NDSU (26-6) trailed through much of the game — by 14 points in the first half — and needed a rally in the final five minutes to win.

"I've been working on my offense for a while," said NDS coach Saul Phillips. "It's called 'get the ball to Woodside and get out of the way.' It's been effective."

Woodside, the Summit League player of the year, finished with 17 points. He averaged 23 on the year and had one game of 60 points this season.

Scoring honors for the Bison went to Michael Tveidt, who had 21 points and was 4-4 in 3-point shots, the last of which with 1:26 left put NDS ahead 64-62 and capped an eight-point run.

Oakland's Keith Benson responded with a dunk for a 64-all tie with 12 seconds to play. Rather than call time out, NDS charged down court and gave Woodside the ball.

"We talked about it all year where if it's a close game and it comes down to the wire and we need a shot to go up or to tie we've talked about not calling a time out but going with the flow," said Woodside. "That way the defense can't set up and that gives us the opportunity to get into transition."

"(Lucas) Moormann set a great screen and gave me just enough time, and Benson was sagging a little and I knocked it down."

A long 3-point try by Oakland's Johnathon Jones at the final horn bounced out.

"When it left my hand it looked good," Jones said. "But it wasn't."

Oakland (22-12) surged ahead in the first half on 63 percent shooting. The Golden Grizzlies cooled to 32 percent in the second half.

"I thought we played 36 outstanding minutes and four minutes down the stretch we played like a very young team," said Oakland coach Greg Kampe of a team that starts a freshman, two sophomores, a junior and a senior.

Erik Kangas and Will Hudson each had 16 points for No. 3 seed Oakland. Jones added 15 and Benson had 14 points and a game-high 14 rebounds.

"To go from surrendering 62 percent shooting in the first half to 32 percent in the second half — that's the difference in the game right there," said Phillips.

"This group has grown. The offensive end has always come relatively easy for them. This defensive end has been going to the dentist every day for five years. We finally got it taken care of and it couldn't have happened at a better time."
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Amarilloslim Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 12 2009,7:56 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It's nice to see a local person do the things Ben has. I  have wondered if he could have been enticed to go to the U of M if Tubby would have been there? I know he could have helped the U. Altough North Dakota State is in the NCCA and the Gophers won't know until the game tomorrow.

--------------
Amarilloslim
 Post Number: 3

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 12 2009,9:04 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I was told by a friend of Ben's Dad , that Ben was on the list to play for the U of Minnesota. They took the player in line ahead of Ben. If this player would of went to a different school, then Ben would of played for the U of M.

I wish the best for Ben and his family. Ben is a perfect example of the old saying that payed off " KIDS, GO TO THE PARK AND PRACTICE. "      :rockon:
 Post Number: 4
hairhertz Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 13 2009,9:20 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The NCAA will be a great opportunity for Woodside to exhibit his skills.

--------------
metis movement
 Post Number: 5
Robert Hoffman Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 13 2009,9:49 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Good overall success story! Great work Ben! ...He may have what it takes to be a great leader well after basketball also; Senator Woodside??? Ball may only be a blip on the radar of things he could accomplish. Good job to all those along the way that helped him and gave him encouragement. He too may have already help a few youngsters start to dream...

--------------
A guy is in a hole & is yelling for "help!" A doctor walks by & writes a prescription. A preist walks by & says a prayer. Then a FRIEND jumps in the hole with him & the guy yells at his friend "You're down here with me now!" The friend says "SURE, but Ive been down before and I know the ways out!"
 Post Number: 6
No more rash Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 13 2009,10:53 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

He's a great small college story, buts lets be real...how many NBA teams are interested in a 5'11 point guard who is weak on defense. He got a good education for free, he might be drafted in round 2 so he might get a contract but will be farmed out overseas. Not bad tho!!!
 Post Number: 7
atlantic Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 13 2009,4:17 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Joe The Plumber @ Mar. 12 2009,9:04 pm)
I was told by a friend of Ben's Dad , that Ben was on the list to play for the U of Minnesota. They took the player in line ahead of Ben. If this player would of went to a different school, then Ben would of played for the U of M.

I wish the best for Ben and his family. Ben is a perfect example of the old saying that payed off " KIDS, GO TO THE PARK AND PRACTICE. "      :rockon:

How would you explain Ben Berhow going to the gophers?
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 13 2009,8:22 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(atlantic @ Mar. 13 2009,4:17 pm)

(Joe The Plumber @ Mar. 12 2009,9:04 pm)

How would you explain Ben Berhow going to the gophers?

No comment. I don't know the facts or story behind Ben Berhow going to the U of M.    :dunno:   I will ask his Dad if I see him this summer.

I do know that Ben has worked just as hard and is a great kid also.
 Post Number: 9
Joker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 14 2009,10:56 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I don't think it matters how you get to play D-1 level. It only matters that you get the chance to play at this level in college.
 Post Number: 10
atlantic Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 14 2009,11:57 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Joker @ Mar. 14 2009,10:56 am)
I don't think it matters how you get to play D-1 level. It only matters that you get the chance to play at this level in college.

agreed
37 replies since Mar. 12 2009,2:36 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 41234>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply BEN WOODSIDE. ( NDSU basketball player.)
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code
Emoticon Emoticon Emoticon Emoticon Emoticon Emoticon Emoticon Emoticon Emoticon Emoticon Emoticon