>Guest

Page 1 of 212>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Security System, Cost of system< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Joink Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 23 2015,9:45 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have been interested in a home security system for some time now. I noticed a system offered by Total Security in the Shopper today for $1,499. Out of curiosity sake I checked the internet for prices and found the exact same system for $395. Now I don't begrudge a business to make a profit but if someone profits at $395 for the system. $1,499 in my opinion is damm near stealing from those that aren't internet savvy. Neither price includes installation. Total Security says in their ad " If you bought from someone else, you probably paid too much!" All I can say is "really".
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Botto 82 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 24 2015,12:43 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I know buying stuff online often implies some margin of savings, but that's a little ridiculous. Makes a person wonder how many have already been skewered with the $1,100 mark-up.

--------------
Dear future generations: Please accept our apologies. We were rolling drunk on petroleum.

- Kurt Vonnegut
 Post Number: 3
nzeroesc Search for posts by this member.

Group: Super Administrators
PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 24 2015,12:55 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Too many to count.  It is a lucrative business model that preys on human insecurities.  A couple years ago with the large rash of burglaries in the city, Vivint Security reps swooped into town and sold many systems as indicated by the dusting of little orange signs that popped up across yards in town.  

Those all came with hefty cancellation fees, long contracts, and many hidden charges.

With the proliferation of smart phones, and products such as SmartThings and Lowes Iris you can replicate nearly every single function of any contract home security and automation product with no contract and little or no monthly fees depending on your desired level of integration.

I currently use a SmartThings hub and have that connected to my door locks, open/close sensors, an outdoor and porch light, thermostat, as well as my Smoke/CO detectors.  I get instant notification on my phone of any issues, all at no monthly cost beyond my regular phone/internet bill.
 Post Number: 4
Self-Banished Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 24 2015,4:35 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Caveat emptor.

--------------
:D Remember boys and girls,

Don’t be a Dick :D

Or a “Wayne” :oops:
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 24 2015,5:38 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Self-Banished @ Jun. 24 2015,4:35 am)
Caveat emptor.

Nice work, Jethro. Way to elevate the discourse.  :frusty:

Nice system. Add a humidity monitor for when the plumbing goes wonko, and you'd have the whole magilla.

--------------
Dear future generations: Please accept our apologies. We were rolling drunk on petroleum.

- Kurt Vonnegut
 Post Number: 6
nzeroesc Search for posts by this member.

Group: Super Administrators
PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 24 2015,5:52 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Both Iris and SmartThings offer a few different moisture sensor options, from set in place sensors for temp/humidity and moisture, to wired water sensors for ware level such as a sump pit.

I've never bothered, which may bite me is the ass some day, but with a perimeter drain in the basement, and being on fairly high ground, natural flooding is almost a non-concern, and a plumbing failure will be limited to the unfinished side of my basement in all likelihood.
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 24 2015,5:56 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Botto 82 @ Jun. 24 2015,5:38 am)

(Self-Banished @ Jun. 24 2015,4:35 am)
Caveat emptor.

Nice work, Jethro. Way to elevate the discourse.  :frusty:

Lean how to shop dumbass.

--------------

Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 24 2015,6:01 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Aaaand here we go...

Attached Image
Attached Image

--------------

- Kurt Vonnegut
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 24 2015,6:03 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Funny, I was thinking the same about you :dunce:  :rofl:

--------------

Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 24 2015,6:07 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(nzeroesc @ Jun. 24 2015,5:52 am)
Both Iris and SmartThings offer a few different moisture sensor options, from set in place sensors for temp/humidity and moisture, to wired water sensors for ware level such as a sump pit.

I've never bothered, which may bite me is the ass some day, but with a perimeter drain in the basement, and being on fairly high ground, natural flooding is almost a non-concern, and a plumbing failure will be limited to the unfinished side of my basement in all likelihood.

It's nice being in the nearly-flood-proof part of town. I enjoy that where I live. I was thinking more along the broken pipe route. I've worked in apartment maintenance, and have seen firsthand how rapidly the expensive damage stacks up when that happens. A remotely-operated water main shutoff would be a nice thing, now that I think of it.

--------------

- Kurt Vonnegut
10 replies since Jun. 23 2015,9:45 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 212>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Security System
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code
Emoticon Emoticon Emoticon Emoticon Emoticon Emoticon Emoticon Emoticon Emoticon Emoticon Emoticon