[ Log In :: Register ]

1 members are viewing this topic
>Guest

Page 1 of 3123>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Neglected Streets in Albert Lea< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
alcitizens Search for posts by this member.
Albert Lea

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 08 2014,1:46 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Virginia Place and 5th Street are being neglected when it comes to streets and sidewalks.. Collapsed sidewalk all along both sides of Virginia Place and major holes that would break your leg if stepped into.. This hazard is located next to a park used by many children..

Millions being spent on reconstruction projects like Broadway while residential projects are forgotten..

Leaders of Albert Lea, hear me.. "It's wrong"..
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
nzeroesc Search for posts by this member.

Group: Super Administrators
PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 08 2014,2:49 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Remember that streets are not fixed for free.  Generally sidewalks are the responsibility of the property owner to maintain in a safe and serviceable condition, and you can expect the cost of these repairs to be assessed to each property.  

Virginia Place in particular was listed on the Albert Lea 2013-2017 Capital Improvement Plan for 2014.  I do not recall seeing anything voted on or bid this year, so it is likely delayed and scheduled for 2015 at this point.  Contact the appropriate individuals listed below to get more information.

Here are the people to contact:

Ward V: Virginia Place - North of 5th St
Larry Anderson
Fifth Ward Councilor
824 Jefferson
507-377-2392
landerson@ci.albertlea.mn.us

Ward VI: Virginia Place South of 5th St
Al “Minnow” Brooks
Sixth Ward Councilor
1402 Academy
507-373-9024
abrooks@ci.albertlea.mn.us

Streets and Public Works:
Scott Overland
Street Superintendent
414 Commercial St.
Albert Lea, MN 56007
507-377-4377
soverland@ci.albertlea.mn.us

Steven Jahnke
Public Works Director
221 E. Clark Street
507-377-4325
sjahnke@ci.albertlea.mn.us

Also might not be a bad idea to approach the police department with this concern as well.  There are two community policing represeantives as well:

Virginia Place North of 5th (District 3-4):
ALPD Officer Brianna Lutz: blutz@ci.albertlea.mn.us

Virginia Place South of 5th (District 3-6):
ALPD Officer Adam Hamberg: ahamberg@ci.albertlea.mn.us

Community Service Officer:
Mary Schroader: mschroader@ci.albertlea.mn.us
 Post Number: 3
Santorini Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 08 2014,8:39 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The 'beautification' of downtown stops at the intersection of Main & Broadway.
The South side of Main down South Broadway looks terrible!  Boarded up buildings...
The flowers & benches & sidewalks should have continued at least past the Coffee Hus.(or whatever it's called). Even Austin kept it going out to Hormel museum...The downtown does look nice though.

--------------
"Things turn out best for those who make the best
 of the way things turned out."    Jack Buck
 Post Number: 4

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 08 2014,10:28 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Santorini

The city is currently soliciting plans and working with MNDOT on the second phase of the Broadway improvements scheduled for next year.  They will be implementing some of the design features on a limited basis pending MNDOT input from Main St to Front St, and the entirety of Broadway from Main St to I-35 Exit 8 will be resurfaced.

http://www.albertleatribune.com/2014...ay-work
 Post Number: 5
MADDOG Search for posts by this member.

Group: Moderator
PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 08 2014,10:45 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(alcitizens @ Sep. 08 2014,1:46 am)
Virginia Place and 5th Street are being neglected when it comes to streets and sidewalks.. Collapsed sidewalk all along both sides of Virginia Place and major holes that would break your leg if stepped into.. This hazard is located next to a park used by many children..

Millions being spent on reconstruction projects like Broadway while residential projects are forgotten..

Leaders of Albert Lea, hear me.. "It's wrong"..

Yeah, they plow those streets.

--------------
Actually my wife is especially happy when my google check arrives each month. Thanks to douchbags like you, I get paid just for getting you worked up.  -Liberal
 Post Number: 6
twingroves Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 08 2014,12:39 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

if the council members do not live on the street it does not get any work done on it heres to them :finger:
 Post Number: 7
Albert Lea

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 08 2014,9:03 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(nzeroesc @ Sep. 08 2014,2:49 am)
Remember that streets are not fixed for free.  Generally sidewalks are the responsibility of the property owner to maintain in a safe and serviceable condition, and you can expect the cost of these repairs to be assessed to each property.  

Virginia Place in particular was listed on the Albert Lea 2013-2017 Capital Improvement Plan for 2014.  I do not recall seeing anything voted on or bid this year, so it is likely delayed and scheduled for 2015 at this point.  Contact the appropriate individuals listed below to get more information.

Guess what? Property tax continues to be paid while neighborhood streets go into disrepair, devaluing properties and causing an unsafe environment for families with children..

The leg breaking crater I described previously is located at a city park on Virginia Place, not a residence..

Safe and serviceable condition?  :rofl:

Are you saying that people would rather live in squalor than pay an assessment? I don't think so..
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 09 2014,1:46 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I do want to add here at the top for the sake of posterity that Google Maps has thoughtfully driven down this street for us just last year, and provided a beautiful high resolution view of the neighborhood in question.  While I do see several areas that could use some TLC, I have certainly seen far worse in my travels both in this city, and others.  And not anything I would call squalor by any means.  

For that matter there is an awful lot of shiny new concrete right in the area you allege this "leg breaking crater" to be     Google Maps Street View - Virginia Place

In the case of the block of Virginia Place you are talking about there are 21 assessable properties on the block.  9 of them are city owned.  Not only from the park, but several lots carried on tax rolls as forfeitures with no income at all.  Average property values on that street have been low for quite some time with the majority of the lots bringing in under $400 a year on property taxes, and one duplex rental bringing in $1400.

Nearly every neighborhood has someone that will fight a tax assessment for street repairs because they feel it is unfair, doesn't benefit them, don't see the need, or any other litany of issues that have come up in the past opposing street replacement or construction in recent memory.  Do you expect the 11 property owners on Virginia Place to be different?

I'll use the project on St Joseph from 11 years ago as an comp for Virginia Pl.  Similar neighborhood, scope, and likely assessment base.

The $342,000 project includes the replacement of the 6-inch sanitary sewer line, installed in 1930, with a new 10-inch pipe; replacement of the water main, installed in 1932; a new storm sewer, replacing the old one from 1923; and new pavement, sidewalks and curbs. The city will assess 18.8 percent of the cost, or about $64,000, to the property owners and pay the rest.

So $64000 assessed to 11 property owners if the city opted for the maximum statutory 30 year repayment schedule would be $193 a year minimum.  For at least one property on that street that would DOUBLE the property taxes.  For smaller projects like this, the city has historically gone with a 10-15 year repayment window.  

For the record, 18% assessment is low, some projects have been assessed out at 50% owner responsibility.  So I think that estimate is well within line given the amount of linear feet that are city owned.
 Post Number: 9
greenbeans Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 09 2014,11:11 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Park Ave is/has been hurting as well for a looooong time.
Its getting old.

guess we get to wait TWO more YEARS.

--------------
:oops:
 Post Number: 10
Albert Lea

PostIcon Posted on: Sep. 09 2014,4:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(nzeroesc @ Sep. 09 2014,1:46 am)
there are 21 assessable properties on the block.  9 of them are city owned.

Wouldn't the City and the State of Minnesota be on the hook for at least half since they own 9 of the 21 properties?

Do you suppose the neglect of Virginia Place and 5th St. continues because as Maddog would say, "They have a little skin in the game" or as I would say, "They have a limited tax base in the area"?

I think the area has been due for a new streetscape for a long time..

(Picture of the main "leg breaker" next to the park)

Attached Image
Attached Image
24 replies since Sep. 08 2014,1:46 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 3123>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Neglected Streets in Albert Lea
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code
Emoticon Emoticon Emoticon Emoticon Emoticon Emoticon Emoticon Emoticon Emoticon Emoticon Emoticon